Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Decisions, Decisions... Equipment - Spend Big Or Small?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
lennonlawncare
lennonlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Business Name:Lennon Lawncare

Hi guys,

Just after some advice.

I'm planning on starting up a lawn mowing/outdoor clean up business early-mid next year. I am currently in the process of developing a business plan and have started researching what my start up expenditure will be.

Here's a list of essential items I still need:

-Suitable Work Vehicle...  Used Ute + Trailer or Used Light Truck with big tray?

-Better push mower (Got a cheap chinese one at the moment)

-Spare Whipper Snipper (in case of failures) 

-Spare Blower

-Bigger Jerry Cans

What I would like to have but maybe not essential right away:

-Zero-Turn Ride On with 42" Deck (small enough to fit in most backyards)

-Edger

To buy all these new apart from the vehicle which I will buy used I would be looking at around $20,000

Does this sound ridiculous? or Reasonable?

I could probably spend less on a work vehicle and trailer and buy used equipment but I really don't want to end up having an unreliable car that is a money pit and have equipment breaking down on jobs making me look unprofessional.

What advice could you Lawnies out there offer to someone like me starting out?

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Welcome aboard mate

Sound like you have a good plan in place. I would recommend buying brand new top of the line equipment that way you are guaranteed a hassle free run for a few seasions. With secound hand gear you dont know how long its going to last.

I wouldnt be buying a ztr just yet id wait to see the size and type of work you get and make your decision down the track.

As for a work rig id be going a truck if your in this game for the long haul. i used to run a ute and trailer set up but found it a pain in the rear ha ha i run a table top truck and havnt looked back it is somthing i wish i done for day dot.

Cheers,
Smokey
Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

lennonlawncare
lennonlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the advice! 

I think you might be right about the zero turn. They are expensive and are only going to be needed for bigger yards. If I do well in my first year I might splash out and get one.

As for a work rig I am actually thinking of getting a light truck. I could put all the mowing gear up the front of the tray and then have a big cage up the back for green waste/rubbish removals.

Any light trucks you could recommend that I could pick up between 10-15k in good nick?  I'm thinking a mazda e2000 trayback could be a good choice.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

You should be able to get a good truck for that sort of money keep an eye out on truck sales and gumtree.
Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

First year or two for most of us is tough. Really tough.

If you haven't got lots of cash in the bank then id go new SP mower (a good one) a good whipper- they rarely give any trouble and a spare when you can afford one..just like a good SP mower..lol, used trailer and a used van (I love vans for mowing work).

If your work goes towards more yard clean ups or tree and hedging work or plain normal yard mowing or your puling in the bigger dollars then look at what suitable vehicle would suit you. So many fail the first few years and you don't want high debt/investment.

A truck like Smokey's for eg would be a complete money pit and unpractical for me. My van and trailer would be a dogs breakfast for him. We have different business and different incomes.  

What im trying to say is people come and go in the industry all the time. Its not an easy way to earn a crust in the first few years. Dont over commit yourself until you know the path that's going to suit you.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

lennonlawncare
lennonlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

First year or two for most of us is tough. Really tough.

If you haven't got lots of cash in the bank then id go new SP mower (a good one) a good whipper- they rarely give any trouble and a spare when you can afford one..just like a good SP mower..lol, used trailer and a used van (I love vans for mowing work).

If your work goes towards more yard clean ups or tree and hedging work or plain normal yard mowing or your puling in the bigger dollars then look at what suitable vehicle would suit you. So many fail the first few years and you don't want high debt/investment.

A truck like Smokey's for eg would be a complete money pit and unpractical for me. My van and trailer would be a dogs breakfast for him. We have different business and different incomes.  

What im trying to say is people come and go in the industry all the time. Its not an easy way to earn a crust in the first few years. Dont over commit yourself until you know the path that's going to suit you.

Food for thought... I found a cheap 6x4 trailer locally that I'll be picking up today. I'll be able to tow that behind my Hyundai Wagon. Then I just need a good SP or push mower and a spare whipper snipper to get the ball rolling. I currently work full-time so I will be mowing lawns outside of my normal hours, hopefully building up a big enough client base to transition from my current job to running my own business. 

Your right though, I don't want to invest too much too soon. Living in a Rural Victoria it's probably going to take a long time to build up a decent client base. 

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Get a Honda 216 or 217 and a umk 425 whipper. Not maybe not later. Get them from day one.

The rest, commercial from the start is better but you can survive without them for a while.
Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Id get public liability insurance first

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

lennonlawncare
lennonlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Id get public liability insurance first

Won't be starting until I get this. All part of the plan.
Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

Don't forget a First Aid Kit, Grumpy uses his every week!

(RL)

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

read between the lines, if he seems drunk, he possibly is

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Don't forget a First Aid Kit, Grumpy uses his every week!
(RL)

There should be a very basic first aid kit in any car along with the knowledge to use it. I’ve seen many a contractor recovering from the night before on the job next day make mistakes.
Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Won't be starting until I get this. All part of the plan.

feel free to send me a message if you would like to come out with me for half a day or so and you can see for yourself what you will need.

I work your area occasionally and would be happy for you to tag along. 

Cheers mate

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

lennonlawncare
lennonlawncare

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

feel free to send me a message if you would like to come out with me for half a day or so and you can see for yourself what you will need.

I work your area occasionally and would be happy for you to tag along. 

Cheers mate

That would be great, I'll pm you
Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

RjMaan
RjMaan

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationPakistan

It sound like you have a great business plan and you can do it. Just go for it and don't think too much plus you can also add a Corrugated Plastic Box on your business plan. These boxes are very helpful for you and you can also place your tools in them or can use them in any way you want. Plus they can be custom made i.e. you can also order according to your desired/required shape of box.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales