Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Its Interesting

So I quote a job for a lady. She is getting 2 cubic metres of soil delivered and wants me to move it. My price on moving stuff is usually around $80 a cubic metre and I usually expect it to take me around an hour per cubic metre, so I quote $160. She is happy with that and I eventually do the job. It takes me 90 mins but from arrival to departure it is about 2 hours. She says she will get me back to move a cubic metre of mulch, half to the same spot and other half to quite a bit further away. No worries.

But when i get home she has sent me an email

"On reflection it did turn out to be pretty pricey. I think I'll try to DIY with the mulch, so no need to hold a spot for me in your diary next week. Thanks again though! "

I am not in the least bit upset or even disappointed as shoveling is NOT my favorite thing to do, LOL. But I just find it quite interesting that the person was all good with the price but then after paying and "reflection" they now think it is "pricey"

​She did remark once I had finished "Oh that was quick". Do you think that they had an idea of how long it should take and that you should only pay a person $160 to shovel two cubic metres of soil if it takes them a long time....say 3 hours.....4....all day?

I guess i am not looking for answers but more a discussion. Interesting human behaviour.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Its Interesting

It think it was ever thus Colsy - the almost universal advice I've seen on all forums is to NEVER mention an hourly rate when you quote a job but any client with half a brain and a calculator app on their phone can work out your hourly rate if they're interested - but for some reason when it's a mowing quote 99% of people will switch off that part of their brain - guess they think it's all too hard because you're using your equipment and fuel etc -

but when it's a man (or shiela) with a pair of secateurs, rake or a shovel then anything more than their pricing pain threshold  (and I reckon that's age dependant - lot of oldies remember getting someone to do weeding for $12 an hour back in the day) - they're likely to feel ripped off

it's why I don't do anything other than mow for all except 4 clients now - and I state on my ad that I don't do "gardening" - (and yeah, I do starve in winter - haven't worked that one out yet  :) )

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Its Interesting

She probebly thought a couple cubic meters of soil was allot of soil. 

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Its Interesting

It think it was ever thus Colsy - the almost universal advice I've seen on all forums is to NEVER mention an hourly rate when you quote a job but any client with half a brain and a calculator app on their phone can work out your hourly rate if they're interested - but for some reason when it's a mowing quote 99% of people will switch off that part of their brain - guess they think it's all too hard because you're using your equipment and fuel etc -

but when it's a man (or shiela) with a pair of secateurs, rake or a shovel then anything more than their pricing pain threshold  (and I reckon that's age dependant - lot of oldies remember getting someone to do weeding for $12 an hour back in the day) - they're likely to feel ripped off

it's why I don't do anything other than mow for all except 4 clients now - and I state on my ad that I don't do "gardening" - (and yeah, I do starve in winter - haven't worked that one out yet  :) )

I like the odd little odd job possibly once a day. Rarely is a regular mow above $70 in my neck of the woods, so a little odd job here and there is usually a winner for me. My perfect day is 1 x $150-$200 job and then multiple regular mows, usually sees me with $600 and home by 2 pm.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Its Interesting

She probebly thought a couple cubic meters of soil was allot of soil. 

yes she may have imagined a mountain.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Its Interesting

She realised you did it quicker than she thought so thinks she can shovel just as quick.  When she is about an hour into it and exhausted and only done 1/2 m she will be regretting she didn't get you to do it :)

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Its Interesting

I like the odd little odd job possibly once a day. Rarely is a regular mow above $70 in my neck of the woods, so a little odd job here and there is usually a winner for me. My perfect day is 1 x $150-$200 job and then multiple regular mows, usually sees me with $600 and home by 2 pm.

My best yet i think. 27 mins sitting back in the cab $100 should be more of those

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Its Interesting

She simply worked out your hourly rate on that job & thinks you are too expensive.

Im not saying you are or aren't.

Its human nature to want to know what you're paying for if you have half a brain, nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes when you're on a good wicket, with their regular work, I don't want their small extra jobs for this very reason.

Colsy, you quoted, she accepted, you did not rip her off.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Its Interesting

Colsy, good to hear your quote, I have the same to do on Thursday and have quoted the same as you.

My customer asked if that was enough. Go figure

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Its Interesting

She realised you did it quicker than she thought so thinks she can shovel just as quick.  When she is about an hour into it and exhausted and only done 1/2 m she will be regretting she didn't get you to do it :)

Ha ha, yes I really think she will be thinking that. Especially as it needs to go much further.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Its Interesting

It’s liberating when they do know the hourly rate though.
I’ll tell a few of the “send me the bill” types if it comes up. If there’s a bit of business in them they can understand that there’s a lot more to it.
Like croc said it never crosses anyone’s mind that a $50 lawn takes under 30 minutes.
Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Its Interesting

I actually like when a customer wants to do a job themselves that they think is seamingly easy... they always tell me how hard it was ,and they couldn’t move the next day...lol.

The customers job always looks terrible too....LMAO
Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Its Interesting

yes she may have imagined a mountain.

Its like a meter of firewood. Its bugger all. My mate does skip bins and his bins are all 3 sq meters. He hears all the time "They are smaller than I thought".

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:57 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Its Interesting

I used to get great satisfaction and made good money out of overgrown resi cleanups - too old for that now especially working solo - my average job now would be $50 for about 30 - 40 mins - after meeting with financial planner last Monday I needed to declare my intention to work less than 10 hours a week - so my aim now is 20 of those a week with the aim of getting them to no more than 30 mins and all within a klm of home - got an Edgit pro sitting in a box in the shed while I stuffed around deciding whether to replace my whipper - time to install it. 

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:25 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Its Interesting

I used to get great satisfaction and made good money out of overgrown resi cleanups - too old for that now especially working solo - my average job now would be $50 for about 30 - 40 mins - after meeting with financial planner last Monday I needed to declare my intention to work less than 10 hours a week - so my aim now is 20 of those a week with the aim of getting them to no more than 30 mins and all within a klm of home - got an Edgit pro sitting in a box in the shed while I stuffed around deciding whether to replace my whipper - time to install it. 

yeah I used to love the clean ups but lately i find that on any job of more than a couple of hours i start to feel really edgy and want to move on.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Its Interesting

yeah I used to love the clean ups but lately i find that on any job of more than a couple of hours i start to feel really edgy and want to move on.

With the heat all i wanna do is get in and out as quick as. Wouldnt take on any clean ups in this weather. Speaking of the weather though i was asked is it getting hotter, possibly; but more like your getting older and it affects you more (does me )

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Its Interesting

With the heat all i wanna do is get in and out as quick as. Wouldnt take on any clean ups in this weather. Speaking of the weather though i was asked is it getting hotter, possibly; but more like your getting older and it affects you more (does me )

Oh Yeah! for sure Drew - no longer bulletproof eh? - don't even like bending down to pull a friggin weed - sad that we finally get some kind of wisdom going when our bodies are on the way to being farked  :(

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Its Interesting

LOL bending used to be an issue, not so bad with Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother :-)

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:35 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales