crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Battery Size And Tool Performance

OK I tried to find the Ego 56V thread and the search engine on this forum is ####house

Anyway, I've got the Ego gen2 blower and usually use 2.5AH batteries in it - last me about 4 lawns - but I bought a 5.0ah battery last summer when I was doing more work but haven't used it much - 

Thought I'd better cycle it a few times as it's been sitting on the Ego 40% maintenance charge for a bit now so charged it up and used it today

And it reminded me of something I'd noticed when I used it regularly - the blower goes noticeably harder with the bigger battery - so I'm thinking the motor will draw more amps if they're available and pump out more work

Anyone else noticed similar and with what tools - thinking I'll try the big battery on the blade edger attach next time I use it.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The AH of the battery can’t do that, the AH is like the size of the tank. It can’t change the performance of the tool.
The older battery is acting like an older battery. It probably doesn’t get to the full voltage. Like an old car battery that has trouble getting to fully charged, and loses its voltage as soon as any load is applied.

A new 2.5ah will work harder than an old 5 ah, for how long is a different question
Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

The AH of the battery can’t do that, the AH is like the size of the tank. It can’t change the performance of the tool.
The older battery is acting like an older battery. It probably doesn’t get to the full voltage. Like an old car battery that has trouble getting to fully charged, and loses its voltage as soon as any load is applied.

A new 2.5ah will work harder than an old 5 ah, for how long is a different question

Thats what I used to think too, until I saw workshop addicts youtube review/comparison between the 14/16" chainsaws.

They explained that its the software in the tool that will determine the amount of power that can be drawn from the battery, dependant on amp/hr size.

When I use my gen2 blower or chainsaw, it def has more power using the 4amp/hr batt than the 2amp/hr batt. 

Just my experience.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Well I guess if software is changing the behaviour of the tool that’s a bit different, didn’t know about that one

I was talking purely from the electrical theory POV
Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

That Gen 2 blower is a weapon and my guess is it draws near the limit of what a 2.5 can supply in terms of current - every week or so mine will shut itself down with a relatively fresh battery installed - wait a few seconds and you're good to go again - used to think dodgy battery but I run 3 x 2.5s which I've labelled and it happens with any of them - who knows what kind of smarts is inside the things but I'm guessing the 5.0 is more up to the capabilities of what the blower can deliver. I notice the newer Gen 3 comes with a 5.0.

I've also got the AEG 18V blower and you can notice a definite decline in power as the battery discharges - with 4 bars of charge pretty good - 1 bar and you know about it - Ego manage that decline better with their batteries but it's still noticeable IMO

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:35 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

OK I tried to find the Ego 56V thread and the search engine on this forum is ####house

Yes tried the google approach but (it,s probably been deleted in the mod clean up )

http://lawnclub.com....c/1911-ego-56v/

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

All those threads still exist, it’s just a matter of the kids behind the scenes working out the simple process to restore them. They are just removed from public view. Same applies for Friday Night Chillout ect.
Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales