24 replies to this topic
Grounded
Grounded

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Business Name:Tweed Heads region

Honda Hedge Trimmers

How are you fellas.I'm currently in the market for a new piece of equipment to add to my growing arsenal. As you might have guessed already, i'm swinging towards the Honda versa-tool range of equipment for a new hedger. My existing hand-helds are still good, but i am specifically looking at the pole/extended reach hedger(long reach) allowing me to add to the unit on a needs basis later.

Has anyone got any advice for me in this regard? I am aware of the weight issues surrounding said brand, but l am hoping to avoid all the fuel mixing etc. and feel that the 4 strokes have a slightly better noise advantage over the two stroke competitors.  The Stihl equivalent i have found pretty comparable where  the weight is concerned.All my existing mowing gear is Honda so the decision seems practical where the fuel is concerned at least.

I can already hear those individuals out there wishing to provide me some timely advice as to the  benefits of converting to battery powered gear. Unfortunately, I've used some before. (brand un-named)  and remain unconvinced. In my view, batteries and commercial work should only be loosely applied in the same sentence.

All suggestions welcome non the less

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I’d suggest lithium powered. I know that’s not what you are asking but once you use one you will never go back to petrol.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Guest_biggles_*
Guest_biggles_*
  • Guests

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I’d suggest lithium powered. I know that’s not what you are asking but once you use one you will never go back to petrol.

I agree with this.

I have the Honda vesatool with the hedging and extension and have since purchased lithium powered. The battery powered are much lighter
Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Honda Hedge Trimmers

+1 for the battery gear - I'm a Honda tragic and I want a tool like the Versatool short hedger also - seems like the perfect compromise if the balance is good (haven't handled one yet) - but I've been so impressed with the Ego battery gear I bought that I have to consider the Stihl HLA65 also (unfortunately Ego don't do a short hedger attach for the multitool head) - bout the same price as the Versatool

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I'm not sold on battery gear yet...  I know spongy said his Ego hedger lacked power..  couldn't handle the thick stuff.. I have an Ego mower...I use it 3 times a week...its just ok at a stretch.

I use a Stihl km 130 kombi multi tool...and yes, its bloody heavy.. but it goes all day...rips through anything...the Honda multi is reportedly heavier again.  I know when I compare my Stihl whipper to my Honda whipper...the Honda is alot heavier ... but alot quieter.. 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Honda Hedge Trimmers

personally, l think the only consideration should be weight - so long as its commercial quality.....so l'd be recommending 2 stroke

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I’ve got a Honda versa tool plus short hedger plus extension. I recommend you don’t get one.
Pole saw is ok, I’ve never pole sawed for too long

I’ve got ego multi +hedger+ pole saw there ok
I’ve had ego hedger but wore it out pretty quick.
It’s domestic level gear, ok for the money but not great

I’ve got a stihl battery hedger, commercial gear and price, good product so far but only newish.

Weight is the first spec I’d be looking at.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I couldn’t stand the fumes anymore. Yes my Victa 82 volt has a bit of weight but it’s well balanced and can go 2 hours on and off and it’s got more power than any equivalent petrol powered.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

Instant torque and power mate. And absolutely no lag cutting things bigger than a petrol. With battery the power is instantly there.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

A petrol needs to build up revs to produce torque and power. With electric it’s instant.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

Honda Hedge Trimmers

John22,

I agree,

power = work

time

earlier post referring to battery power deleted

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

New Year, same as last year. Round consolidation, drop more customers, retire dad

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I’ve got a Honda versa tool plus short hedger plus extension. I recommend you don’t get one.
Pole saw is ok, I’ve never pole sawed for too long

I’ve got ego multi +hedger+ pole saw there ok
I’ve had ego hedger but wore it out pretty quick.
It’s domestic level gear, ok for the money but not great

I’ve got a stihl battery hedger, commercial gear and price, good product so far but only newish.

Weight is the first spec I’d be looking at.

Did you buy the brushless Ego hedger? - I think the other one is more of a homeowner bit of gear but I've done some serious chomping with the brushless one and no complaints

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I think the other one, off eBay unused for $100. Got my money’s worth.

With the stihl you can go to a pretty solid job without worrying about charging.
Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I have the stihl combi smoker. It just goes and goes and goes and goes and goes and goes some more.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Honda Hedge Trimmers

How are you fellas.I'm currently in the market for a new piece of equipment to add to my growing arsenal. As you might have guessed already, i'm swinging towards the Honda versa-tool range of equipment for a new hedger. My existing hand-helds are still good, but i am specifically looking at the pole/extended reach hedger(long reach) allowing me to add to the unit on a needs basis later.

Has anyone got any advice for me in this regard? I am aware of the weight issues surrounding said brand, but l am hoping to avoid all the fuel mixing etc. and feel that the 4 strokes have a slightly better noise advantage over the two stroke competitors.  The Stihl equivalent i have found pretty comparable where  the weight is concerned.All my existing mowing gear is Honda so the decision seems practical where the fuel is concerned at least.

I can already hear those individuals out there wishing to provide me some timely advice as to the  benefits of converting to battery powered gear. Unfortunately, I've used some before. (brand un-named)  and remain unconvinced. In my view, batteries and commercial work should only be loosely applied in the same sentence.

All suggestions welcome non the less

Hi Grounded, could you name the battery cutter that you were dissatisfied with, so we can take your view into consideration ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

Grounded
Grounded

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

Hi Grounded, could you name the battery cutter that you were dissatisfied with, so we can take your view into consideration ?

Cheers Fred.

Hi Guys. Thanks for the feedback so far. The equipment that i have used was the Husqvarna commercial range. As mentioned, the equipment is light and relatively ergonomic. Ironically, i found the extension trimmer the best of the three pieces i had used, the cut quality was good but more surprisingly was the battery life span. I generally got about five hours from the largest battery available to me when using the hedger., but the cutting diameter is limited. All this equipment was  owned by a body corporate i did some work for. The battery life span on the blower and brush cutter was pretty poor, maybe 60-90 min at best. (same battery)

The largest downfall was the battery life span and life span indicator on the l.e.d. display. 

When using the blower, one minute i had power, the next the battery was completely cactus. This says alot about the battery indicator when i still had a few bars of light left. As some of you might appreciate, when working in a residential estate, this kind of thing always happens when you're nowhere near the alternate battery.

As for the Honda pole saw or trimmer, my existing brush cutter is the umk435, so i'm accustomed to the weight. Many operators are using the 425 to save a bit weight wise. I wouldn't opt for the short trimmer attachment as i can use my existing handhelds for the same purpose. The additional extension pole is also additional cost wise. I am swinging towards the long reach attachment.

I suppose its a little ironic that i have no problem with my 18v drill in my tool shed but i remain such a skeptic about garden equipment being battery operated. Thanks for the feed back.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:29 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I also have the UMK 435...  thinking about buying the 425 on the next upgrade ..  the 435 is just so heavy...  but as you say...I'm also used to it

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:40 AM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Business Name:GreenEdge

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I have the Husqvarna battery kit and been running it for 8 months. I haven't had the issue you have reported with battery charge indicators. I run 4 batteries (2 large, 2 small) and take my quick charger should I need a top up on the go.

I did have a battery that started to lose charge quickly (about 45min in the line trimmer down from 90min (only the small battery)) and it was replaced under warranty on the spot. 

Overall i'm very happy with it.   I'm not a big guy so the weight is really important to me, not to mention the lack of fumes.

cheers

terry

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

Grounded
Grounded

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I also have the UMK 435...  thinking about buying the 425 on the next upgrade ..  the 435 is just so heavy...  but as you say...I'm also used to it

Yeah, they are heavier. The 435 does provide the extra grunt though when you've got some serious grass or brush in front of you. I have found the 425 to be lighter but the gearbox has a habit of getting pretty hot after prolonged use.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

Grounded
Grounded

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Honda Hedge Trimmers

I have the Husqvarna battery kit and been running it for 8 months. I haven't had the issue you have reported with battery charge indicators. I run 4 batteries (2 large, 2 small) and take my quick charger should I need a top up on the go.

I did have a battery that started to lose charge quickly (about 45min in the line trimmer down from 90min (only the small battery)) and it was replaced under warranty on the spot. 

Overall i'm very happy with it.   I'm not a big guy so the weight is really important to me, not to mention the lack of fumes.

cheers

terry

Thanks for the info Terry. I personally like the Husqvarna brand, My zero turn is Husqvarna and i have always liked their gear. Hence my surprise by the battery  life span. I would have thought  that the hedge trimmer would have pulled more power from the battery than the brush cutter for example.

Shindaiwa is another popular brand that got it right when building their equipment (from a weight perspective) although I always found the gear  to be excessively noisy, with plenty of rattles on well worn equipment.

I got wind of Shindaiwa having just gone into receivership, i don't know if this is true or not. Turns out Briggs and Stratton have taken interest in the company. Again, i am unsure as to the truth behind the rumour. Like Tanakas demise, you have to wonder why when their equipment is so widely adopted by the commercial maintenance contractors.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
LAWN FORUM
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
LAWN BUSINESS ARTICLES
Lawn Mower News and Sales
INDUSTRY SUPPLIER NEWS