crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hrx217 Tips, Repairs, Maintenance

Got my HRX back from the shop along with a list of the $600 in parts they wanted.  I just sourced the same parts on boats for $US107,   lol.

Took the valve cover off and like they said the exhaust valve was stuck closed, but 2 hits with a hammer freed it up again, guessing it was just gummed up. Noticed though that the rocker arm is cracked.  I have no idea why the shop thinks it needs a new cylinder block and rebuild.   The valve seems to be working fine again so I'm just going to replace the rocker arm ($3 part on boats) and see if that fixes it.   Be funny if the $900 fix turns into a $3 fix.

I'm no small engine mechanic but seems like you could have valve guide wear which might predispose it to happening again down the track commercially - but as a backup mower or for sale to a homeowner doing 20 cuts a year you're laughing.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Yeah you could be right Crocster.   Hopefully I can get it going again and just be used as a backup mower, it's got a few niggling issues/wear and tear as well I think it's reached it's end of life as a commercial mower

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I haven't had any valve issues. Haven't even adjusted.  Motor seems fantastic. Front wheels are a bit wobbly...lol, especially the right one. Deck has been great. I have had axle and rear carrier issues. It's lucky to of gotten an oil change once a year. For a non commercial machine that is looking at having its 3rd set of wheels this year its been a great mower. 

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Here’s a 217 tip,
When you’re in green buffalo up to the top of your boots and it doesn’t have enough grunt to process all the grass.
Use the annoying height adjusters to your advantage. Introduce some angle and mow at 2/3 or 2.5/3.5 so less blade is in the grass.
Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Here’s a 217 tip,
When you’re in green buffalo up to the top of your boots and it doesn’t have enough grunt to process all the grass.
Use the annoying height adjusters to your advantage. Introduce some angle and mow at 2/3 or 2.5/3.5 so less blade is in the grass.

I wonder if anyone has broken the rear adjuster levers? They bend and twists like a hula girl if you don't lift the mower up and take some weight off it, even then it still can..

I haven't broken one.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Yep mine is almost rusted on to 2.0 rear - front changes between 1.5 and 2 - most of mine are low couch - occaisional buffalo I'll go 2/2 or 2/3 

Can't believe Honda haven't fixed the adjusters on newer models

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Yep mine is almost rusted on to 2.0 rear - front changes between 1.5 and 2 - most of mine are low couch - occaisional buffalo I'll go 2/2 or 2/3 

Can't believe Honda haven't fixed the adjusters on newer models

Should be the first thing they fixed along with the availability of a snorkel. I cannot believe Honda have not updated and adapted the 217. Great features with the drive, and the light deck. Blade brake is awesome after 2 weeks getting used to it. I think someone at Honda is not making the right decisions.

Have you broken one?

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

They’re just a bit of pressed sheet, so Honda probably want to keep it a low cost part. been looking at how they can be improved while mine is still in bits. Slowest boats order ever.
Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Short answer is no - mine has done nearly 3 seasons with just a single carby blockage basically - for a "premium domestic" grade mower they are outstanding in a commercial application - the hydro drive is brilliant - once you've had blade brake you can't go back - the deck is indestructible - the catcher is huge - they're 10+kg lighter than an HRU and there's no better mulching mower 

I'm going down to my local dealer tomorrow to order another one and a new UMK425 

Tip for UMK425 users - Honda charge $499 for the loop handle version and $699 for the bull horn model - same whipper but $200 extra for the handles - I bought a bull horn model in 2002 and since then I just buy the loop handle model and swap the bull horns over.and sell the old one with loop handles for domestic users

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:01 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

The height adjusters give me the absolute ####'s, it seems like a little thing but using just 2 adjusters on the toro is such a pleasure. In my new HRX one of the rear adjusters is so stiff I feel like it's about to break everytime I use it. Will have to take it apart and grease it up.
Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

The height adjusters give me the absolute ####'s, it seems like a little thing but using just 2 adjusters on the toro is such a pleasure. In my new HRX one of the rear adjusters is so stiff I feel like it's about to break everytime I use it. Will have to take it apart and grease it up.

I've used a spray of drilube on the rears a few times - seems to help.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I use graphite powder on all the rear axle bits, there’s a lot of dismantling to get the height adjusters apart though. You might be able to get a little bit in when they’re flexed to lift the deck.
Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

there's no better mulching mower 

odel in 2002 and since then I just buy the loop handle model and swap the bull horns over.and sell the old one with loop handles for domestic users

I agree they do a great job mulching on a regular mown lawn but the Mulch Master is a better all round mulching mower by far.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Anyone cracked the weld on the rear wheel carrier stud thingo? Now the wheel sits off camber and not sure how I’m going to remove it as the stud turns with the wheel nut.

Attached File  4A8FC3B1-FEFB-4BD1-9A11-3668868921CA.jpeg   183.02KB   0 downloads
Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Yeah, hopefully I can get a pair of baby multi grips on to it.
I might pull the whole arse end out again after the shiny new clutch return spring you can see went in. I’ve tuned up the rear height adjusters and now they move too easily. Stay tuned.
Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Anyone cracked the weld on the rear wheel carrier stud thingo? Now the wheel sits off camber and not sure how I’m going to remove it as the stud turns with the wheel nut.

attachicon.gif4A8FC3B1-FEFB-4BD1-9A11-3668868921CA.jpeg

yep, a few times, Wielding didn't hold it for long.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

heres a sweet part number link

http://www.hondalawn...awn-Mower-Parts

Anyone cracked the weld on the rear wheel carrier stud thingo? Now the wheel sits off camber. . . 

called an arm

Part number 

42940-VH7 000 left

42930-VH7 000 Right

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

All you HRX owners better go out to the shed and change the oil and whisper sweet nothings to it - I've just been told they're out of stock Australia wide with stocks not expected till mid July! -

got a dealer scrounging around now trying to dig one up - otherwise I might look at ordering one from the States - that's how Arfa got started I think - ever get the impression Australia is a pretty insignificant market for Honda?

Edit: the 70c exchange rate rules it out - cost $980AU from Home Depot with $360AU shipping plus GST

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Tell us about it, Honda have a golden opportunity to sell every commercial bloke a new mower, but every salesman says you don’t want that.
Bunnings appears to have them available online
Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales