spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

How Many Customers?

So the customer count has been building up, ive now got 50something regular lawns I'm happy to keep, plus the irregular ones and the drop zone. Then theres the hedges and other irregular stuff. 

Sure the numbers change depending on the seasons and right now its peak hour. How many customers do you want? How many can you sustain and keep your reliability? 

PS Most of 1 day a week over summer is a commercial booking. . . 

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

Guest_Ply313_*
Guest_Ply313_*
  • Guests

How Many Customers?

I've been going 3yrs next month as an independent, when asked I would usualy say 40+ regulars and I thought I was bullsh#tting to people because I hadn't actualy counted them. I sat down one night recently and went through my phone to find over 200 of which 80+ where regular and the rest on and off. I was surprised to say the least. I dont schedule anything which I know some of you will think is crazy, it's purely on demand from the customer. Reason is I don't want strict schedules getting in the way of big irregular jobs like block slashing/clearing jobs etc.
I'm flat out most of the time to the point my father will come out once a week, although right now it's slow in Adelaide and the last two winters had a slow month each. That is the disadvantage of no schedules I guess but for me the advantages outweigh it the rest of the year. I want more to help in the slow periods but I think it will be hell when I get busy again. I think the key is as many as possible as close to home as possible. Recently I started dropping jobs I deemed to much travel as I collect more close to home.
Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

How Many Customers?

About 75-80 regulars, about 20 of those are gardening.

I find mowing the most profitable.

I want to get rid of the gardening and just stick to mowing.

100 to 120 high quality mowing only (no gardening) customers would boost my annual turnover substantially and probably be a good number. Be interesting to hear many customers blokes who just mow have.

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

How Many Customers?

80 regulars, 15 blowins, 4 gardening.

Like Blair, I would like to get rid of the gardening jobs.

Plan on picking up 30 or so more customers, straight mowing only, my son is about to come onboard in March, the extras will cover the insurances, super, tafe fees etc for him. Plus some profit.

I also like the house clean-ups and insurance jobs when they come my way.

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

How Many Customers?

Been going 2 years and I have 55 regulars, only one of these is gardening and the rest just mowing.  90% are scheduled fortnightly with a few weekly and every 3 weeks.

I do a few one off's and/or hedges per week on top.

My number is about the same as last season, however difference is I've dropped almost all the bad customers and replaced with good ones.  Phone has been quieter this season so far I'm guessing due to lack of rain.  I'd like to get 70 good regulars, possibly up to 80, that would be 9 or 10 a day 4 days a week which I think is a good limit for me,

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

How Many Customers?

I went full time a few years ago when i finished my landscaping apprenticeship i was a solo operator back then.

I had around 80 regular resi customers back then that keept me flat stick 6 days a week during spring and summer and 3 days a week during winter.

I soon realised resi mowing was a pain dealing with customers who thought they could tell me when lawns needed mowing and sting out mows to a month in summer.

I then started pushing for acreage and commercial jobs since then i havnt looked back now my uncle works full time with me we still have around 20 regular resi jobs.

Its a great mix and variety of work thats keeps us going 6 days a week of late.
Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:31 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

How Many Customers?

Its a great question and I think it depends on personal preference. 

I have 55 solid regulars, another 20 irregulars plus one or two leads a day from my google page.I'd like another 20 regs and that would do me. And at the ,moment I am honing my business to purely lawns..........it makes me happy. Have seen too many others go down trying to do everything.

My perfect day is 6 or 7 regulars at $60 to $80 and a random of $100 to $150. I really dont want a hardcore schedule of regulars every day.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

How Many Customers?

i got 45 regulars , 40 are cuts every two weeks ..3 are weekly ..and 20 give my solid gardening work (hedges, handyman etc)

I'm as busy as i want be ....  at the moment...i'm flat out ..

friends tell me to put on an offsider...  i'll never do that

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

How Many Customers?

I have 26 regulars plus blowins from the ad but I recently dropped a lot of dead wood and I'm well and truly part time now - but there's only one I do gardening for now, no corner blocks, most can be mulched - most around $50-55 for 30-40mins work - the sweet spot IMHO - stable regulars happy to have it mowed when it's needed

john22 posted here a while back about how profitable those townhouse complexes are and I totally agree - I have 3 tablecloth size lawns in them now and will chase more - they're often gated with no junk mail signs but once you get one you're inside the wall and can promote directly - got one yesterday - $50 every fortnight for  20mins tops - my aim going in to winter is for about 40 sweet regulars

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:00 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

How Many Customers?

Im a part timer.

I have 34 reg resi lawn customers.

6 unit complex's

1 shop

Real estate work as required

And do a day a week sub contracted to a service provider  

I dont want any more work but would look at upgrading customers.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

How Many Customers?

I went full time a few years ago when i finished my landscaping apprenticeship i was a solo operator back then.

I had around 80 regular resi customers back then that keept me flat stick 6 days a week during spring and summer and 3 days a week during winter.

I soon realised resi mowing was a pain dealing with customers who thought they could tell me when lawns needed mowing and sting out mows to a month in summer.

I then started pushing for acreage and commercial jobs since then i havnt looked back now my uncle works full time with me we still have around 20 regular resi jobs.

Its a great mix and variety of work thats keeps us going 6 days a week of late.

When you get time Smokey could you please start a thread of how you broke into Acreage. Marketing, what you charge and what gear you needed to invest in up front, etc please? How does your body go as some have allot of sniping around fencers, sheds, garden borders, trees,  orchards, chicken coupes, cars etc?

Its something I'm considering and it might be fantastic for others.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

How Many Customers?

When you get time Smokey could you please start a thread of how you broke into Acreage. Marketing, what you charge and what gear you needed to invest in up front, etc please? How does your body go as some have allot of sniping around fencers, sheds, garden borders, trees,  orchards, chicken coupes, cars etc?
Its something I'm considering and it might be fantastic for others.

No worries at all lucky ill post somthing up tonight.

Cheers
Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
LAWN FORUM
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
LAWN BUSINESS ARTICLES
Lawn Mower News and Sales
INDUSTRY SUPPLIER NEWS