Second Mower

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic
Guest_sidfromsydney_*
Guest_sidfromsydney_*
  • Guests

Second Mower

Hi Everyone, 

I currently own a Honda 216SH Self Propelled from DMC and would like to have a second mower as a backup. 

Can anyone please recommend me on which brand I should go with for the backup mower

Thanks

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Second Mower

victa 560 mulchmaster

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Second Mower

It would be preferable & u'd proly get more responses if u told us its intended use.

Large, small, rough, fine lawns ?  Mulch, catch or a combo of both ?

Does it need to be light weight or, is robust & heavy better suited ?

New, s/hand ?

If you're happy with the DMC, maybe another one ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Second Mower

I carry a 217 for catching jobs and a Victa MM for everything else.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

Second Mower

I think i would like a mulch master too

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Second Mower

I think i would like a mulch master too

https://www.bunnings...-mower_p0049259

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Second Mower

Maybe you have your back up mower, now you know your jobs better you can go get the best day to day mower to suit your run.
Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Second Mower

Impossible question to answer without knowing more detail.

But for me personally I have 3 mowers:

Bushranger 21in SP

Victa Mulchmaster 560 22in SP

and a little Victa 450 for courtyards and tiny fart lawns

Attached File  14808-8b.jpg   27.84KB   1 downloads

I probably use the MM the most and its my preferred mower, I would be happy to use it all day every day but need the Bushie and the little Victa for the odd catching job.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Second Mower

I have sooo many mowers at the moment...i need to get rid of a few...:P

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Second Mower

Impossible question to answer without knowing more detail.

But for me personally I have 3 mowers:

Bushranger 21in SP

Victa Mulchmaster 560 22in SP

and a little Victa 450 for courtyards and tiny fart lawns

attachicon.gif14808-8b.jpg

I probably use the MM the most and its my preferred mower, I would be happy to use it all day every day but need the Bushie and the little Victa for the odd catching job.

same as me mate - Bushy for the rare catch job, MM for 98% of push jobs (and a sanli 18" i was given for tiny jobs/ or stair access).....but do most with the Compact Pro

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Second Mower

The HRX217 is my everyday concealed carry mower - I do mainly well maintained  resi lawns and I decide whether to mulch or catch on the fly when I get there - I like catching because the finish is better as long as I don't have to pay a time penalty for doing it - as I've posted earlier, with the fickle rainfall here in Brisvegas many of my lawns have less than a catcher per mow even now so I catch them

I own a Mulchmaster 850 I/C with less than 10 hours on it and I want to love it but I used it again last week and have the following observations:-

• the drive is too fast on the lowest setting and it just launches in to heavy going way too fast requiring you to "slip" the drive which, as a belt drive setup with fixed minimum ratio is not ideal - or else push it and why would you want to do that.
  • the maximum height setting is too low for overgrown jobs - I put it into an overgrown thatchy thick SW lawn of about 200mm height on side throw last week and the combination  of the drive speed and the fact that I couldn't cut high and bring it down over subsequent passes made the whole job a pain in the butt - ended up pushing it around on the edge of stalling it for most of the job - whereas with my Honda HUT I would have had to push but it would have eaten that job for breakfast

I really want to keep the mower and invite  MM lovers on here to school me on what I'm doing wrong

Other than that my backup mower is an HRU196D Buffalo Mulch and Catch - indestructable but you wouldn't want to push one  around for any longer than your main SP mower takes to repair.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Second Mower

The HRX217 is my everyday concealed carry mower - I do mainly well maintained  resi lawns and I decide whether to mulch or catch on the fly when I get there - I like catching because the finish is better as long as I don't have to pay a time penalty for doing it - as I've posted earlier, with the fickle rainfall here in Brisvegas many of my lawns have less than a catcher per mow even now so I catch them

I own a Mulchmaster 850 I/C with less than 10 hours on it and I want to love it but I used it again last week and have the following observations:-

• the drive is too fast on the lowest setting and it just launches in to heavy going way too fast requiring you to "slip" the drive which, as a belt drive setup with fixed minimum ratio is not ideal - or else push it and why would you want to do that.
  • the maximum height setting is too low for overgrown jobs - I put it into an overgrown thatchy thick SW lawn of about 200mm height on side throw last week and the combination  of the drive speed and the fact that I couldn't cut high and bring it down over subsequent passes made the whole job a pain in the butt - ended up pushing it around on the edge of stalling it for most of the job - whereas with my Honda HUT I would have had to push but it would have eaten that job for breakfast

I really want to keep the mower and invite  MM lovers on here to school me on what I'm doing wrong

Other than that my backup mower is an HRU196D Buffalo Mulch and Catch - indestructable but you wouldn't want to push one  around for any longer than your main SP mower takes to repair.

I still think you have  problem with your drive.  I get lots more rainfall than you and the grass is thicker, wetter and taller for most of the year here id wager. Especially as I do most my regs at 3 weeks. I don't think the mower has been set up properly.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Second Mower

me too...  I'm thinking of selling mine

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Second Mower

its a varispeed right? is the belt on correctly as shown in the manual and have you set up the speed on the pulley with calipers - 42mm

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Second Mower

Yeah, I think you're right Lucky, CG,

I took it back to the dealer twice and it was pronounced fine - I then had a crack at adjusting the drive myself - to no avail -

the engine issue seemed to be fixed by following Macka's suggestion and putting a couple tanks of 98 through it - he reckons if it had been sitting in a warehouse for a while there may have been a small amount of gum buildup - anyway it's running smooth now - the revs are too low but I'll get that sorted

I can't believe my experience with it has been so different to yours - I'm going to seek out someone who's worked on them and pay to get it set up right (I don't think the Victa Gold dealer I bought from had any experience with them) - I don't know if they're that common around here - I've certainly never seen another one in my travels let alone on a showroom floor.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Second Mower

My MM runs on flat out on the engine and the 4th hole setting toward flat out on the drive, works well for me. My blades have the cutting edge underneath unlike all other blades i have ever used were the cutting edge is on top, when they die i,ll get some genuine ones and see what the difference is, have used it on really tall thick gamba grass but tends to just push it over and not cut too well but it wasnt a lawn either so no big deal.

Edit. mine is the smaller 161cc Vanguard motor too unlike most of you with the 190cc

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Second Mower

I have sooo many mowers at the moment...i need to get rid of a few... :P

get rid of the pushie keep the rest, less hours per machine.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Second Mower

My MM runs on flat out on the engine and the 4th hole setting toward flat out on the drive, works well for me. My blades have the cutting edge underneath unlike all other blades i have ever used were the cutting edge is on top, when they die i,ll get some genuine ones and see what the difference is, have used it on really tall thick gamba grass but tends to just push it over and not cut too well but it wasnt a lawn either so no big deal.

Edit. mine is the smaller 161cc Vanguard motor too unlike most of you with the 190cc

??? can you post a pic?

Mine new one has the Vanguard

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Second Mower

Start from 0 drive and go forward 4 notches think that leaves 3 maybe 4 more to go
Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Second Mower

Crocster this may be a stupid question but do you ever use it as a side throw? Whenever mine is sounding a bit doubtful I just pull the plug off and sidethrow like a knife through butter!

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
LAWN FORUM
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
LAWN BUSINESS ARTICLES
Lawn Mower News and Sales
INDUSTRY SUPPLIER NEWS