55 replies to this topic
pete
pete

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Business Name:AA BUDGET LAWN MOWING

Acreage Hedging

hello ive just picked up a hedging job on a 3 acres plot. how much should I be charging for hedges that are 7 metres wide? also thay need lots of weeding done probably 3 hours worth not sure what to charge? any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks.  :)

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Acreage Hedging

Geez a hedge 7 metres wide is going to be tough. Hope its not too long or tall. It all comes down to how long you think it will take including green waste removal multiplied by your target hourly rate. to some extent the time taken depends on the type of hedge (soft and leafy is easy but old and sticky less so), height and ease of access. My hourly rate for hedging and chainsaw work is higher than for weeding because it can be pretty hard work. 

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Acreage Hedging

7 metres wide? jesus....how long is it? 

Personally i wouldnt do it for any money and I'd hand the whole thing to an arborist mob and take a small cut. But you should be asking around $140 an hour. And you better have the experience, the owner of a hedge like that aint gonna be happy with a second rate job.

What kind of weeding? Hand pull or whipper snip? Whipper snip around $80 an hour and hand pull $1,000,000 an hour.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

pete
pete

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Business Name:AA BUDGET LAWN MOWING

Acreage Hedging

the hedge is not very tall just wide. the weeding will be hand pull. now I have  a better idea what to charge them thanks for the feed back guys

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:05 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Acreage Hedging

I charge $85 bucks an hour for Hedges..    and weeding as well.. 

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Acreage Hedging

I think Pete might be confusing the width with the length ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Acreage Hedging

I charge $85 bucks an hour for Hedges..    and weeding as well.. 

We really must talk.......lol

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:03 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

Do we all have the same definition of a hedge?
I struggle to get more than about $80, I get more for mowing.
I always ask what they paid before for every job, I often get told I’m the best, don’t know if I take longer or everyone else is charging less/hour.
I only have a 6 foot ladder, my feet only get a metre off the ground.
Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

We really must talk.......lol

haha...I know...I'm getting better though...honest !! 

Do we all have the same definition of a hedge?
I struggle to get more than about $80, I get more for mowing.
I always ask what they paid before for every job, I often get told I’m the best, don’t know if I take longer or everyone else is charging less/hour.
I only have a 6 foot ladder, my feet only get a metre off the ground.

I agree spongy... I push the price..  The most I can get is $85..    the least I charge is $65, but that's for very straight forward stuff.. no ladders... usually just waist high hedges

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Acreage Hedging

haha...I know...I'm getting better though...honest !! 

.. I push the price..  The most I can get is $85..   

So this is the key bit Ando, you are telling yourself thats what you can get for hedges. You have lost the battle before its begun. The thing you are telling yourself is untrue, its an assumption.

Your price is now $120 an hour, dont discuss it with the customer, just work out how long it will take you and price it in your mind at $120 an hour. The customer can only say yes or no. There is no haggling......none! there is no haggling at the pub when you buy a pint, there is no haggling with the plumber that comes to your house, no haggling at the supermarket when you buy groceries So why should you be haggled?

Your self worth is YOUR price......and that is now at least $100 an hour. Customer says no......thats awesome, take a rest! Customer says yes...do the job.

Of course I am generally talking about larger hedges involving a ladder and a large cleanup. Small 5 minute jobs are a different story.

And of course if you are absolutely dying to do the job then yes I guess you can pitch low, but you have a full body of work, you are in demand. Supply and demand dictates that your price should be at the top.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:13 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Acreage Hedging

So this is the key bit Ando, you are telling yourself thats what you can get for hedges. You have lost the battle before its begun. The thing you are telling yourself is untrue, its an assumption.

Your price is now $120 an hour, dont discuss it with the customer, just work out how long it will take you and price it in your mind at $120 an hour. The customer can only say yes or no. There is no haggling......none! there is no haggling at the pub when you buy a pint, there is no haggling with the plumber that comes to your house, no haggling at the supermarket when you buy groceries So why should you be haggled?

Your self worth is YOUR price......and that is now at least $100 an hour. Customer says no......thats awesome, take a rest! Customer says yes...do the job.

Golden advice, if you tell yourself you are only worth  $85/hr for hedging this is all you will ever get.  I was the same mindset when I started.  Agree with Colsy $140/hr for hedging, plus extra if there is a tip run required.  It's much harder work than mowing especially if you are up and down ladders.   I don't win every hedge quote which if fine by me, I only can tolerate doing a few a month anyway.     Likewise $1/min for mowing is way too low, either get faster or charge more, $100/hr minimum.

Of course the area you are in will reflect the price as well but really for major cities I think the above prices are competitive.  Ando you mentioned how busy you are, well perfect opportunity to raise your prices, you will make more profit for less work. win win.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:51 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Acreage Hedging

Of course I am generally talking about larger hedges involving a ladder and a large cleanup. Small 5 minute jobs are a different story.

And of course if you are absolutely dying to do the job then yes I guess you can pitch low, but you have a full body of work, you are in demand. Supply and demand dictates that your price should be at the top.

Yep...LIKE!!

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Acreage Hedging

Golden advice, if you tell yourself you are only worth  $85/hr for hedging this is all you will ever get.  I was the same mindset when I started.  Agree with Colsy $140/hr for hedging, plus extra if there is a tip run required.  It's much harder work than mowing especially if you are up and down ladders.   I don't win every hedge quote which if fine by me, I only can tolerate doing a few a month anyway.     Likewise $1/min for mowing is way too low, either get faster or charge more, $100/hr minimum.

Of course the area you are in will reflect the price as well but really for major cities I think the above prices are competitive.  Ando you mentioned how busy you are, well perfect opportunity to raise your prices, you will make more profit for less work. win win.

Yep..LIKE!!

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

Yep...LIKE!!

Great advice 

Yes...you know what...I couldn't agree with you more..    this is what I need to be making..  because its bloody hard work and takes skill..

I have had the Sharts lately because I feel like I am working like a Dog and getting nowhere..  I always feel like I don't charge enough..

and your right...I'm booked out till March at the moment...I should be charging more..

From now on...I'm $140 an hour...  lets see what I can get..  

I'm putting up all my regular mowing clients next spring...I'm going in hard

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some, even some of the ones you think love you will be straight on the phone over $5.
At least now the phone won’t be answered
You’ll get your money earlier
You can replace ones you lose

Better still is just drop the far away ones and replace them with close to homes. They’re the difference between being busy and being effective. That’s the most important thing of all.
Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Acreage Hedging

Yep best time to raise prices is in peak season.
Regards pricing this guy has a good video

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

That's a great video....   I'm feeling inspired ...

I'm broke at the moment ...  just catching up from Christmas..   but as soon as I get into a good position...  prices are going up  

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

I built a spreadsheet like that, with number visits/year plus extra job $$. Put in the minutes and dollars and some excel magic does the rest. Definitely worth doing
Buffalo is a punish, it’s either on the turbos or stopped
When you start you pick up jobs that are a bit far, then you get another kind of close to it but it burns you eventually, especially when you need to catch up. Out the front of schools and even bus stops are a pain too
Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

I built a spreadsheet like that, with number visits/year plus extra job $$. Put in the minutes and dollars and some excel magic does the rest. Definitely worth doing
Buffalo is a punish, it’s either on the turbos or stopped
When you start you pick up jobs that are a bit far, then you get another kind of close to it but it burns you eventually, especially when you need to catch up. Out the front of schools and even bus stops are a pain too

Kikuyu is the worst...I'm working like a dog with some ...  I have a few on weekly cuts...  just because I cant keep up with it..

I agree Spongy...I need a spreed sheet... I have a feeling i could get rid of half my clients...lol

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

Text me your email and I’ll send it to you if you want
Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales