terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Business Name:GreenEdge

Acreage Hedging

This turned into a great thread.

I love how they smash through those yards in the first vid on the to ride ons.  Where I live there is virtually not a single backyard I could get a ride on into. Most fronts are ok. Do you guys think it is feasible to do rear with S/P and front with ZTR? Anyone doing something like that?  Can you save enough time to make it worthwhile?

I actually droze past a guy who had a ZTR out on a front yard last week (and it was only a small yard), but the rear only had a small side passage. I assume he did the rear with a push mower. I should have stopped and chatted to him.

cheers

terry

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:00 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Acreage Hedging

It isn’t always about saving time, sometimes it,s about saving legs
Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Acreage Hedging

Do you guys think it is feasible to do rear with S/P and front with ZTR? Anyone doing something like that?  Can you save enough time to make it worthwhile?

terry

I cant see it unless you have 2 guys, not solo, or unless most of your front yards are huge.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Acreage Hedging

my ztr is 35.5" wide, fits through a 36" gate (gravely compact pro)

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

There’s a 700m ish corner block down the street that Jim mows with a Z. Quality is way down, there’s a few scalped patches that come with a big deck on an undulating block, plus the extra blowing on a footpath corner.
It can’t be that much faster and plenty of people wouldn’t accept it.
Doesn’t work on my patch
Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Acreage Hedging

There’s a 700m ish corner block down the street that Jim mows with a Z. Quality is way down, there’s a few scalped patches that come with a big deck on an undulating block, plus the extra blowing on a footpath corner.
It can’t be that much faster and plenty of people wouldn’t accept it.
Doesn’t work on my patch

Mate, I’m in your patch, North West Sydney- Hills district. The guy I referred to with the ztr on a small residential block was a Jim’s guy. Was in Beaumont hills. Might have been the same guy
Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Acreage Hedging

Hi Terry, I’m mostly in the Ponds, close but I’d guess the Jim’s areas are pretty tiny here.
Maybe it’s in the local Jim’s training, many seem to have a z in the trailer but i never see them on a lawn and can’t really see the point, with tiny blocks gates etc.
Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Acreage Hedging

Makes no difference if they are Jims or not. there is nothing in Jims training that says "use a ztr as much as possible".

There is an indy that does a house down the street from me with a ZTR, terrible job. I could do it quicker and better with my Victa MM.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Acreage Hedging

Makes no difference if they are Jims or not. there is nothing in Jims training that says "use a ztr as much as possible".

There is an indy that does a house down the street from me with a ZTR, terrible job. I could do it quicker and better with my Victa MM.

yeah, i see 7 Jims guys regularly and only one has the ZTR. There is a new guy who lives around the corner who just started up with another franchise who has all the brand new stuff with a ztr. haven't seen him at  job yet, just driving by.

Maybe its a question for another thread, Colsy, but I seen four different Jims guys in my street alone (its about 800m long with 90 odd houses) regularly. How do the areas work? I expect the boundaries re more fluid than hard drawn on a map. thanks.

I’m mostly in the Ponds, close but I’d guess the Jim’s areas are pretty tiny here.

I'm in Kellyville.   i'm in and around The Ponds quite often.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Acreage Hedging

yeah, i see 7 Jims guys regularly and only one has the ZTR. There is a new guy who lives around the corner who just started up with another franchise who has all the brand new stuff with a ztr. haven't seen him at  job yet, just driving by.

Maybe its a question for another thread, Colsy, but I seen four different Jims guys in my street alone (its about 800m long with 90 odd houses) regularly. How do the areas work? I expect the boundaries re more fluid than hard drawn on a map. thanks.

I'm in Kellyville.   i'm in and around The Ponds quite often.

Yes its a bit hard to explain but I'll try:

You have a territory given to you when you start, normally you get to pick it yourself and mine is a square mile around my house, picked for convenience.

My territory is the only place in which i can door knock and letter drop with my PERSONAL phone number.

However, Jims leads will come from any place in the whole of melbourne that I pick or wish them to come from, I log onto a system and specify where I would like to work, and that can be anywhere.....or nowhere if Im busy.

And then of course theres referrals and phone calls from other sources from all sorts of areas.

A Jims territory is just a minor technicality to restrict them to not advertising each other out of existence but we can work anywhere.  I have jobs in my territory and so do other Jims, doesnt matter. 

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Acreage Hedging

my dream is to have a little ride on seat behind my 216 ..not sure how this would go for me...lol

I see guys with ZTR's as well...  I'd love a bit of that action...but , it would never work with my current clients...either no access. crazy hills....or very picky..

Update on my prices rise week....so far so good...  I have already lost 2 clients...which I wanted too...they were no good...but everyone else is on board so far... 

I am pricing my clients at $1 per min...plus $10

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:42 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Acreage Hedging

A Jims territory is just a minor technicality to restrict them to not advertising each other out of existence but we can work anywhere.  I have jobs in my territory and so do other Jims, doesnt matter. 

Thanks Colsy, you explained it perfectly.  Makes sense to me.

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:13 AM

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Acreage Hedging

I am pricing my clients at $1 per min...plus $10

I like that formula, but if its a job over 70 mins it should be plus $15 or $20 i reckon.

haha, i'd love to see you with a little sulky setup with the 216!  

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Acreage Hedging

Thanks Colsy, you explained it perfectly.  Makes sense to me.

Yeah its a good system and contrary to what many might say or hear, there is no angst between Jims generally. Ceratinly unheard of in my region.The stories of one Jim hating another Jim because he is working in his territory is a load of ole bollocks.

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:43 PM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Acreage Hedging

Andy your prayers have been answered. Tight turns take a bit of practice but with a 9hp Honda she fair motors.

Attached Files

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Acreage Hedging

Andy your prayers have been answered. Tight turns take a bit of practice but with a 9hp Honda she fair motors.

Take my money !!!  :P

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales