Robbo1967

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
  • Business Name:N/A

New To The Business

Hi folks,

New to the forum and looking to start in the business. I am currently interested in buying a very well established franchise that may be available soon. Good area, good clients.
Any thoughts on franchise vs independent. Immediate return vs building up from scratch.
Appreciate any input.

Cheers, Robbo
Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

New To The Business

If you have enough $ to carry you for a year or so then go independent. If you don't then look at Franchises or buying an independents round.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

Robbo1967
Robbo1967

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

New To The Business

Thanks Lucky
Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

New To The Business

What Lucky said, long term you will be better off independent, it's just the first year or so will be tough until you gain clients, but after that it's not hard to gain/maintain enough customers to keep you 100% busy.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

New To The Business

I bought an Independent business...its been great., I knock back work I'm so busy.  Its bloody hard work though...get ready !! 

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

terry
terry

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Business Name:GreenEdge

New To The Business

I started from scratch as an indy in Autumn last year. Battled through winter - took horrible jobs just to get experience and build up a book. I lived on a farm for 10 years and I have a cert 3 in agriculture and a cert 2 in horticulture so I had a reasonable knowledge starting point. I've now got 35 regulars on 2 or 3 week mows, and 76 active clients.

My plan now if to use the knowledge I've gained from the good folks on here to optimise my business.   Less travel between jobs, better customers, higher yielding jobs. Work smarter.   I do a bit if hedging because I really enjoy it, but I make sure people pay appropriately for it.   One of the most powerful realisations I've had is that low yielding jobs and bad customers are easy to replace and I just don't need them in my life.

I still work my clacker out though

Good luck!

cheers

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

New To The Business

Hi folks,

New to the forum and looking to start in the business. I am currently interested in buying a very well established franchise that may be available soon. Good area, good clients.
Any thoughts on franchise vs independent. Immediate return vs building up from scratch.
Appreciate any input.

Cheers, Robbo

the business numbers should tell you if the business is making the profit your after, go for it if the accountant likes it.   6k on annual fees is bugger all if your making the profit you are seeeking.  The franchise's do have a big network.

Starting from Scratch,  most fail, you only have to look at all the new lawnies that start up every year,  and all the ones that fold. In my area the business in my area that have been operating succesfully for +5 years only acount for 20% of the lawnies.  The rest are competting with each other distroying each others chances.

A fully booked extablished business wether INDI of Franchise doesnt compete with anyone. They are the 20% that will be there in 10 years

If you cant handle the work a franchinse is easy to sell.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

Robbo1967
Robbo1967

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

New To The Business

Appreciate the input and advice folks. Hard decision to make. I guess take all the advice I can get and weigh up the pros and cons of both.

Thanks all
Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

New To The Business

I have a franchise but I am neither pro or con Indy or Franchise, its the old six of one/half a dozen thing , franchise will POSSIBLY cost more up front but will reap money quickly, Indy cheaper but risky depending on area.

But one thing you really need to watch in either scheme is buying established business with supposed clients. In either Indy or franchise it can be a rort, really need to investigate deeply, make sure the old operator isnt going to take off with the clients after the deal is done.

I was happy with my choice to buy an 'empty' franchise and build the customers from scratch with help from the franchise system. Message me if you want to discuss offline.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

mattme
mattme

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

New To The Business

the business numbers should tell you if the business is making the profit your after, go for it if the accountant likes it.   6k on annual fees is bugger all if your making the profit you are seeeking.  The franchise's do have a big network.

Starting from Scratch,  most fail, you only have to look at all the new lawnies that start up every year,  and all the ones that fold. In my area the business in my area that have been operating succesfully for +5 years only acount for 20% of the lawnies.  The rest are competting with each other distroying each others chances.

A fully booked extablished business wether INDI of Franchise doesnt compete with anyone. They are the 20% that will be there in 10 years

If you cant handle the work a franchinse is easy to sell.

Hey Macka, as i am about to launch ( part time first then full time hopefully in spring) what would be your thoughts as to why such high failure rate?

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

Robbo1967
Robbo1967

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

New To The Business

I have a franchise but I am neither pro or con Indy or Franchise, its the old six of one/half a dozen thing , franchise will POSSIBLY cost more up front but will reap money quickly, Indy cheaper but risky depending on area.

But one thing you really need to watch in either scheme is buying established business with supposed clients. In either Indy or franchise it can be a rort, really need to investigate deeply, make sure the old operator isnt going to take off with the clients after the deal is done.

I was happy with my choice to buy an 'empty' franchise and build the customers from scratch with help from the franchise system. Message me if you want to discuss offline.

Interesting Colsy,that folks sell a franchise and then take off with clients. I reckon the guy selling here is retiring so should be ok. But I will look into further. Appreciate the offer to chat offline mate. Will let u know how it goes.

Cheers
Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:13 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

New To The Business

Hey Macka, as i am about to launch ( part time first then full time hopefully in spring) what would be your thoughts as to why such high failure rate?

My bet would be not understanding pricing. Thinking $40/hr is a good income as an employee and then basing their mowing pricing on similar figure and then wondering why after 12 months they have no money in the bank. Anyone can mow but you if you dont know your numbers then you wont succeed.
Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

New To The Business

Re franchise vs Indy. I've heard figures of around $600 a month franchise fees. Now $600 could get you 5000 glossy flyers printed and delivered for you, from my experience you should expect to win 20 customers from this. Within 4 months or so, 20000 flyers, 80 customers and you would be full as a solo Indy and need little advertising past this. Compare that to a franchise you are paying $600 month after month, year after year.
Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

New To The Business

In fairness I think a lot aren’t ever planning for a long term career. Either a top up for another job or between contracts and so on.
I think a lot can’t cope with the long hard work and weather grind.

Also in the beginning you can be busy all the time, busy is overrated. Being effective is the game and that gets better as you go and pick up more regular people.
Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

New To The Business

In fairness I think a lot aren’t ever planning for a long term career. Either a top up for another job or between contracts and so on.

Also in the beginning you can be busy all the time, busy is overrated. Being effective is the game and that gets better as you go and pick up more regular people.

Longest ive been in an occupation is about 10 years, with one employer 8 years. Ive been mowing for about 6.

People do like to swap and change and keep things fresh. 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

New To The Business

I keep saying to the wife that it doesnt 'feel' particularly busy at the moment and yet my books show the same if not more $ as last February which felt incredibly busy. I think I am doing something right.

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

New To The Business

No idea how to run a Business  not knowing cost and and profit margins and no prejected income.  basic stuff.

Just working and making money isnt important.  If you dont  spend the time to make it a  Business on paper. your working blind and thats what stuffs them they dont know whats going on and leave.

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales