Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

Rover Rzt 34 Zero Turn Mower - Any Users?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic
Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Business Name:RGM

Hey All,

While the season is starting to wind down I’m planning for next spring (praying we get some soaking rain in Melb!) and looking to add a small 34/36” ZTR to the business.

I have taken a look at the Rover RZT 34 Zero Turn Mower today and was pretty impressed with it at the $4k price point.

Any members here currently using one and it so your thoughts?

Thanks Rick
Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

lt's a toy - save up and get one of these https://www.gravely....specifications or one of these if you can justify it (over $10g)  https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/compact-pro

you will honestly regret wasting $4g on something that will quickly fall apart

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

I had a Graverly 34" ZTR didnt go as good as expected, 

Mower had 2 x single  bar blades "small",  deck choked and blocked up with sticky or wet grass.  you cant get the throw or lift with short  bar blades

Did rip up the ground abit on turns,  couldnt do fast turns or damage occoured

No overlap for trimming

No good on slopes dangerous

couldnt get through all gates

Good mower for flat ground mowing only when dry

ZTR are not that easy to drive it can take along time to master, damange was a concern hitting a bump on a slight slop and they can turn like a shopping trolley.

Ended up trading it in on a 32" Lawn Tractor,  1 blade disc with 4 swing back blades.   better cut, mows faster, mows everything all seasons wet or dry, deck never blocks.  no damage on turns, never leaves a blade uncut.  Safer on slopes and  gets through evey gate.  I can put the chute blocker down and the deck still doesnt clog

Lost 3k on that ZTR in 3 months

Different areas have different climates and completely different Mowing requirements

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:08 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Thanks for the info Macka, I'm interested as well - what type of lawn tractor did you buy?

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:31 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

That rover is domestic, only 90 day commercial warranty.  If I was looking at going beyond push mowing I think I'd be going a stander like the Gravely Pro Stance.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Awsome feedback here - much appreciated!

I was actually thinking about the gravely zt 34 but dealer didn’t have any in stock for me to try out - Maybe that was a sign!!

He did have a gravely pro stance 36 which I test run - smooth transmissions compared to the rover but double the price and more for one :(
Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

the zt 34 is a domestic mower, much better quality than the rover, but still domestic - the compact pro 34 is IMHO, the best commercial mower going for residential work (after some easy modifications, wider tyres) - l also have a 32" tractor but rarely use it as its a fair bit slower

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Would love a compact pro but way out of my budget :(
Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

badger
badger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Business Name:healeys

i have cox lawn boss 32'' with mulch kit 

google cox mowers, there built in queensland 

nice cut, tuff same as macka says

from $ 3900 Aprox

nice small mower

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

i have cox lawn boss 32'' with mulch kit 

google cox mowers, there built in queensland 

nice cut, tuff same as macka says

from $ 3900 Aprox

nice small mower

yep a brilliant machine...and a great cut too

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Just had a look at the cox mowers online - they have a 35” ztr for $6k looks well built

Not keen on a ride on prefer zero turn for my work load

Someone has mention to me to take a look at scag liberty z 36” - see how that goes but know it won’t be under the $5k mark
Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Would love a compact pro but way out of my budget :(

Buying domestic gear that doesn't last will cost you way more over the long run as opposed to buying commercial in the first place.

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yeh thats a fair point Plucka.

Spend more upfront for less headaches in the long run
Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I had a Graverly 34" ZTR didnt go as good as expected, 

Mower had 2 x single  bar blades "small",  deck choked and blocked up with sticky or wet grass.  you cant get the throw or lift with short  bar blades

Did rip up the ground abit on turns,  couldnt do fast turns or damage occoured

No overlap for trimming

No good on slopes dangerous

couldnt get through all gates

Good mower for flat ground mowing only when dry

ZTR are not that easy to drive it can take along time to master, damange was a concern hitting a bump on a slight slop and they can turn like a shopping trolley.

Ended up trading it in on a 32" Lawn Tractor,  1 blade disc with 4 swing back blades.   better cut, mows faster, mows everything all seasons wet or dry, deck never blocks.  no damage on turns, never leaves a blade uncut.  Safer on slopes and  gets through evey gate.  I can put the chute blocker down and the deck still doesnt clog

Lost 3k on that ZTR in 3 months

Different areas have different climates and completely different Mowing requirements

What type of 32" Lawn Tractor would you recommend please Macka. And will it mean a lot more brush cutting will be required compared to if I got a ZTR. Thanks

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Cox or Greenfield.....nothing else compares in lawn tractors. l've used Cox 32" mowers for over 20 years, can't fault them 

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

Before you commit to a narrow cut tractor/ZTR.

Search for…

wide cut walk behind self propelled mower and iterations of same, viewing search images will help with further searches.

All engine power is available for blades and drive and not devoted to carrying 'lazy' weight. 

An added bonus is your feet learn the ground.

possibly more versatile and probably safer on higher angle slopes, and under low trees…

just an alternative option and often more trailer space friendly.

Post edits by DJ (deej)

Edited by Grae, 03 March 2019 - 01:59 PM.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

I'm retiring, not sure where I'm moving to. Greener pastures or back to FNQ.

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

What type of 32" Lawn Tractor would you recommend please Macka. And will it mean a lot more brush cutting will be required compared to if I got a ZTR. Thanks

I would get the  COX 3500 Series (Hydro Drive)  32" $4,490.00 comes with the 17.5 hp motor that has a oil filter. plus more great features.

The COX LawnBOSS 32" Deck $3,995.00 is cheaper  but is a smaller motor, only a splash oil motor with no oil filter.  basic build

I trim less with the Cox compaired to the ZTR.   With the tractor the streering is fixed and persice. i can mow right up to any obsticals.    The ZT wasnt that persice, the front steering are the same design as Coles shopping trolleys that are not reliable.

The hydro drive has a diff so it never leaves wheel marks during turns.  so you can do fast turns.  The Ztr i had to slow and be carefull

the COX LIVE DRVE models are fixed axles and rip up the ground if you turn to tight or rush. 

I have both and the Stockman hydro and Stockman Live Drive, the Hydro is the best.

The cox decks are a flat desighn same as Mulching Mowers,  so with a custom chute plate I shut the door and mulch to perfection when the conditions are right.

I would say Cox Hydro 32" would do most jobs faster than a small 34" ZTR  and the cox will get threw all gates handle slopes not rip up on turns.  and they are super easy to drive no need to spend time practicing like a ZTR.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Before you commit to a narrow cut tractor/ZTR.

Search for…

wide cut walk behind self propelled mower and iterations of same, viewing search images will help with further searches.

All engine power is available for blades and drive and not devoted to carrying 'lazy' weight. 

An added bonus is your feet learn the ground.

possibly more versatile and probably safer on higher angle slopes, and under low trees…

just an alternative option and often more trailer space friendly.

Post edits by DJ (deej)

Good idea, had a look at them thanks.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I would get the  COX 3500 Series (Hydro Drive)  32" $4,490.00 comes with the 17.5 hp motor that has a oil filter. plus more great features.

The COX LawnBOSS 32" Deck $3,995.00 is cheaper  but is a smaller motor, only a splash oil motor with no oil filter.  basic build

I trim less with the Cox compaired to the ZTR.   With the tractor the streering is fixed and persice. i can mow right up to any obsticals.    The ZT wasnt that persice, the front steering are the same design as Coles shopping trolleys that are not reliable.

The hydro drive has a diff so it never leaves wheel marks during turns.  so you can do fast turns.  The Ztr i had to slow and be carefull

the COX LIVE DRVE models are fixed axles and rip up the ground if you turn to tight or rush. 

I have both and the Stockman hydro and Stockman Live Drive, the Hydro is the best.

The cox decks are a flat desighn same as Mulching Mowers,  so with a custom chute plate I shut the door and mulch to perfection when the conditions are right.

I would say Cox Hydro 32" would do most jobs faster than a small 34" ZTR  and the cox will get threw all gates handle slopes not rip up on turns.  and they are super easy to drive no need to spend time practicing like a ZTR.

Thanks Macka. Will lean towards the Stockman hydro as you suggested.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Also Macka, do you know if there is a van that is suitable to carry around the COX 3500 Series, hru 216,  28" cylinder mower, edger, brush cutter, hedger etc and shelving for other stuff.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales