sidsfromsydney
sidsfromsydney

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:Sidney's Backyard

What Is The Future For Us?

Hi everyone, 

Im curious to hear about your thought for our industry in the next ten years. 

Do you think the millennial generation would like their lawn and garden maintain on a regularly basis? 

Do you think they would invest money in using fertiliser, seasol and what not to keep their lawn lush green?

and last, 

Do you think technology will ever take over our job?

Thanks

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Hi everyone, 

Im curious to hear about your thought for our industry in the next ten years. 

Do you think the millennial generation would like their lawn and garden maintain on a regularly basis? 

Do you think they would invest money in using fertiliser, seasol and what not to keep their lawn lush green?

and last, 

Do you think technology will ever take over our job?

Thanks

Do you think the millennial generation would like their lawn and garden maintain on a regularly basis? Yes, I think that is about 50% of my business currently.

Do you think they would invest money in using fertiliser, seasol and what not to keep their lawn lush green? No, generally less than previous generations. Have even noticed that many of them are happy to see their lawns die thinking they now wont have to mow it.

and last, 

Do you think technology will ever take over our job? I cant foresee it, the jobs are all so unique. But I think its possible that one day someone coukld invent a spray that would stall lawns but also prevent weed growth.

In general I think a lot less people are proud of their lawns than say 20 or 30 years ago. But the stuff keeps growing, just like the population....so we should see plenty of work for the next 10 years at least.

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I reckon there will always be a need for our services but things have changed in the last decade or so in SE QLD anyway - the hot, dry cycle we're in plus the introduction of water charges and restrictions means I can't recall a single client I've had that watered the lawn in 3 years now - so lawn growth is sparse and erratic all year which means that it's difficult to lock in a schedule -  I'm part time and still find it frustrating to make it up on the fly every week - can't imagine how guys with a full book juggle it 

it's a seasonal game and a summer like the one just past makes me think about the future - reckon you'd really need another line of service to fill in the gaps - gardening, pool care, pressure cleaning, coring/dethatching, pizza delivery  :( 

I'm staying with it because I like the flexibility and I don't want to retrain in anything else at my age but as a career choice for a young man?? 

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

I think it's a growth industry as more people are time poor, although I agree with Crocster, my main concern is the weather/climate/lack of rain, here in Brisbane anyway.  It's the only thing you have zero control over.  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

you know what...  I think the future for our industry is bright... 

gone are the days of one partner being the bread winner while the other stays at home doing household chores.. 

Today's society is both parents working full time...  and have zero time for mowing lawns and gardening ... 

our industry isn't something that can be automated ...  and there is sooooo much potential work out there...  everyone has a lawn and a garden .. 

and yes , there is lots of competition in our industry too. seems everyone has a mower hanging out the back of the ute...  you always have to be better than the average "Lawnie"   go that extra bit..  be professional. 

and climate goes in cycles...  you get good years and bad years

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

What ando said
+ there building houses as fast as they can, tiny blocks yes but they all have grass and councils won’t let people turn that into hard surfaces for drainage reasons. Then with a tiny block do you have storage for a mower and fuel etc. and then if you buy a cheapish mower for your little yard before long it breaks down or needs service etc.
May as well just pay someone
Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

What ando said
+ there building houses as fast as they can, tiny blocks yes but they all have grass and councils won’t let people turn that into hard surfaces for drainage reasons. Then with a tiny block do you have storage for a mower and fuel etc. and then if you buy a cheapish mower for your little yard before long it breaks down or needs service etc.
May as well just pay someone

Yep, I do a lot of tiny lawns where they cant store a lawn mower. $50/12 mins unpacked, in, out and done.

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Here’s one from today, hard going straight up and down though
Attached File  8701DB7F-A71C-462C-9E77-00FAF0BAD846.jpeg   255.84KB   7 downloads
Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Still large blocks down in tassie. Majority of my jobs are 40min plus. Lots of rain as well. Technology like the robot mowers will get better and cheaper and will replace us slowly and that's OK, who wants to work in the same job for 15 to 20 years? 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Still large blocks down in tassie. Majority of my jobs are 40min plus. Lots of rain as well. Technology like the robot mowers will get better and cheaper and will replace us slowly and that's OK, who wants to work in the same job for 15 to 20 years? 

40+ years & Im still enthusiastic.

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't .......  :P

Cheers Fred.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

My beef with the inability to reliably schedule jobs nowadays mainly relates to travel time - in earlier times my jobs were organised into runs worked out with the UBD into efficient trips out and back and didn't change much most of summer - I had only 3 jobs this morning due to postponements - total cut time 95mins - but they were all over the place and total time away was 130mins - blows the hourly rate away. 

Did a bit of Googling after Grae's post on climate change - does your head in but reinforced the idea that historically Australia does suffer regular serious droughts lasting many years:-

https://www.theland....l-drought-risk/

https://theconversat...yperdrive-72360

apparently we're in a hot dry phase of the IPO now and, as a long slow cycle, these current conditions could be with us for a while ................or not.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Here’s one from today, hard going straight up and down though
attachicon.gif8701DB7F-A71C-462C-9E77-00FAF0BAD846.jpeg

hahaha...thats a killer.. 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

me too..majority of my jobs are 50mins +  I have no estate work , so to speak ..  all my blocks are old skool..  Robo mowers to replace us are a few years off yet ...and they still need edges done and hedges.. 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:02 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

my jobs are either around 330 sq.m or 850sq.m, they're either bl00dy huge or tiny.....l'm getting choosy now with what l take (like fred over 30 years) l can't see robomowers working in Oz, perhaps in the new McSuburbs but not the majority of places 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

sidsfromsydney
sidsfromsydney

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:Sidney's Backyard

Thanks for contributing everyone. 

Im still in my mid twenty and working full time in my first year. So far, alot of ups and down but in the end it had build me a character. 

In my opinion, there will be always be a demand for us out there. However, the lack of respect you get from some customers thinking that anyone can do the job has been pushing you to lower your prices down to compete. This is what makes me feel frustrated about this industry. 

On the bright side, I love mowing and I think if things doesn't work out in the end. I can always do this as a part time job. 

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationRetired and on the wallaby track

let the idiots do the cheap jobs

Demand a fair price for your work but always DO IT BETTER

it's not that difficult

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

retired last week and I'm bored already!

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationRetired and on the wallaby track

My jobs all look beautiful and I take pride in them

The idiots jobs look like crap and they take the money and run.

Some clients are just as stupid as the cheap service people that they continually feed as they come and go

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

retired last week and I'm bored already!

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

i reckon the huge influx of retiree's that will work for a few extra dollars and not care about price will hit the industry,  there are a few on this site.

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationDarwin

When I sold cars for a living one of the trainers said “ respect your price “ ,there will always be people cheaper and dearer than you, who cares, it,s your price.
Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

In my opinion, there will be always be a demand for us out there. However, the lack of respect you get from some customers thinking that anyone can do the job has been pushing you to lower your prices down to compete. This is what makes me feel frustrated about this industry. 

On the bright side, I love mowing and I think if things doesn't work out in the end. I can always do this as a part time job. 

get rid of those customers.if they dont respect you ..you don"t want them, They will never be good..    there is plentyyyyy of good customers out there...  ;)

when quoting for jobs..  always quote high..    you only want the good jobs... its got to pay..

If you get every job you quote for....your not quoting right  ..  this is a business....not a thing on the side ;)

be better than the next guy....go out of your way to do a good job

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales