21 replies to this topic
JH Mowing
JH Mowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Business Name:JH Mowing Services

Garden Bags

Hi all, anybody on here provide a garden bag service where you drop a green waste bag for the customer to fill and you collect? Just seeing if anyone has done it and had a good run with it.
Cheers

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/161654822744
Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Garden Bags

Concept is good, overheads are not much at all, guy here doing it with a HJ60 and large double axle very high sided trailer. Pickup is $25 month. 
Of course he cant be a pro with that outfit, another guy has a truck with hyd pickup, tips into what is essentially a smaller version of the garbos truck, big outlay for that though, the non pro guy with his toyota is killing it money wise. 99%cash too.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Garden Bags

Guy near me has one he has 600 clients and growing $20 pickup every month.

He and his workers are not professional either.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Garden Bags

Sheesh, at the $260/tonne here I reckon you’d go broke charging $150. If it works it works I suppose
Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

Garden Bags

I just bought one of those cage and bag set ups of ebay...lol   

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

JH Mowing
JH Mowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Garden Bags

The tip here charges by size, not weight. A full bag would incur about $10 to dump based on $18.50m3. Even if you jag 100 customers using one at $20 that’s $1000 a day for the month, less expenses. Not bad to top up above your your monthly taking.
After a crazy 6 months, the grass has just stopped, looking at other ways to bring in the coin.
Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

Sheesh, at the $260/tonne here I reckon you’d go broke charging $150. If it works it works I suppose

My local fees. Govt owned transfer stations are the way to go. All that privatisation means stupid prices.

Waste Disposal Fees & Charges

Fees effective 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.

General Waste (including green waste) Car boots (up to 0.5m3) $8 per load Utes, Vans, Trailers & Small Trucks (0.5m3 to 1.5m3) $12 per load Utes, Vans, Trailers & Small Trucks (1.5m3 to 2m3) $17 per load Over 2m3 - Charged by Weight (per tonne):   Landfill Waste $128 Separated waste (less than 50% to landfill) $85 Non-landfill waste $58
Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Garden Bags

I've thrown some of these figures around in my head and it doesnt really seem to be a profitable venture to me. If they cost you $10 a bag to dump and you are charging $20 to $25, you have to travel to the clients place and spend a few minutes there at least and of course then travel to the dump....and with how many bags to the dump? Then you have your investment to recover etc. Quite a large investment to buy 100 frames and bags at $55 each. 

Feels to me like it would be good in a town like Darwin or Hobart etc where I am assuming they dont have green council bins and traffic/travel efficiencies arent an issue. And even then I cant see how it would be 'easy money'.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

I've thrown some of these figures around in my head and it doesnt really seem to be a profitable venture to me. If they cost you $10 a bag to dump and you are charging $20 to $25, you have to travel to the clients place and spend a few minutes there at least and of course then travel to the dump....and with how many bags to the dump? Then you have your investment to recover etc. Quite a large investment to buy 100 frames and bags at $55 each. 

Feels to me like it would be good in a town like Darwin or Hobart etc where I am assuming they dont have green council bins and traffic/travel efficiencies arent an issue. And even then I cant see how it would be 'easy money'.

IDK how many they take to the tip but its a fair few. Normally a Tray back 2 or 3 bags high and a largish trailer 3 to 5 bags high. Tip is 3 to 5 minutes out of town.

Cannot see it working when you have to pay large amounts in tip fees or in a green bin area. I also don't think u would buy 100 up front, perhaps 3 to 5 at a time?

Numbers on the guy doing it here 600 x $20 = $12000. Like me he would not pay the tip fees (good lads at our tip). Its a small area so at picking up a bag every 15 mins that's 30 bags a day including a break. 20 days working a month= $600 a day. Even if he paid a tip fee of $58 that's still a $540 day. Not bad when the vast majority would be cash. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is you need a strong large wheeled trolley and preferably an easy way to load them onto the vehicle or trailer. Most are light with just garden pruning's and weeds but some are full of wet grass clippings and would be back braking. Interestingly at some placers they have another pile on the ground next to the bag so often its a two bag pickup at the one address.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

JH Mowing
JH Mowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Garden Bags

All valid points gents. I’m going to give it a crack, bought 10 tonight and see how it goes, small outlay for something that has potential to expand and low ongoing costs. Travel is a issue as pointed out, I couldn’t be stuffed being in traffic all day like in Sydney, I live in Myrtleford and will also target Bright and Beechworth, all with their own tips. I know I can collect bags with no fuss in these towns with stuff all traffic. My Ute and trailer can take 16 at a time. I’ve thrown out 100 bags as a guide as I’m confident I can jag that number without a drama, clear $10 a bag, take fuel out and other expenses which is next to none, I’ll take the $1000 less expenses anyday for a big days work
Let you all know how it plays out.
Cheers for the feedback and hope you all kick goals over the slow season
Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Garden Bags

The tip here charges by size, not weight. A full bag would incur about $10 to dump based on $18.50m3. Even if you jag 100 customers using one at $20 that’s $1000 a day for the month, less expenses. Not bad to top up above your your monthly taking.
After a crazy 6 months, the grass has just stopped, looking at other ways to bring in the coin.

I don't get the math.

100 bags x $20/month = $2,000/month income

100 dump fees x $10/month = $1,000/month expense

Bag/Frame depreciation $3 per unit per month = $300 expense

(Assuming it gets replaced every 2 years)

That leaves $700/month before factoring in advertising, time, fuel etc.

That doesn't include initial capital expenditure of bags and frames.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Garden Bags

I don't get the math.

100 bags x $20/month = $2,000/month income

100 dump fees x $10/month = $1,000/month expense

Bag/Frame depreciation $3 per unit per month = $300 expense

(Assuming it gets replaced every 2 years)

That leaves $700/month before factoring in advertising, time, fuel etc.

That doesn't include initial capital expenditure of bags and frames.

Maybe I'm missing something?

The feasibility seems to depend on tip fees, whether council green bins are available and the scale of your operation  - here in Brisbane the fees are:-

Commercial fees and charges

The following commercial vehicle fees and charges apply for:

• commercial vehicles or trailer combinations with a CGVM of up to 4.5 tonnes:
    • $12.40 for all vehicle or trailer combinations up to and including 100 kilograms
    • $29.30 for all vehicle or trailer combinations greater than 100 kilograms but less than 500 kilograms
    • $131.30 per tonne for the remainder (13.13 cents per kilogram)
  • commercial vehicles above 4.5 tonne CGVM (must use Willawong or Nudgee only):
    • $131.30 per tonne (13.13 cents per kilogram).

And green bins here are $19/quarter on the rates bill

There's a guy doing it round here - I bought some wool bags from him when I first started out and picked his brains at the time - he has a Dyna pantec style body with hydraulic lift which can hold about 45 bags at $19 per collection - if you guesstimate 25kg per bag then it's $855 gross less around $110 tip fees - so $745 less all other expenses - doesn't sound like a gold mine to me for the outlay and effort

Don't think I'd invest in it on that scale - from the homeowner's perspective the green bin is pretty much a no brainer cost wise - $80/year for 26 collections - I'd guess 20% of my clients have them

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Garden Bags

All valid points gents. I’m going to give it a crack, bought 10 tonight and see how it goes, small outlay for something that has potential to expand and low ongoing costs. Travel is a issue as pointed out, I couldn’t be stuffed being in traffic all day like in Sydney, I live in Myrtleford and will also target Bright and Beechworth, all with their own tips. I know I can collect bags with no fuss in these towns with stuff all traffic. My Ute and trailer can take 16 at a time. I’ve thrown out 100 bags as a guide as I’m confident I can jag that number without a drama, clear $10 a bag, take fuel out and other expenses which is next to none, I’ll take the $1000 less expenses anyday for a big days work
Let you all know how it plays out.
Cheers for the feedback and hope you all kick goals over the slow season

Good stuff mate and good luck with it all!

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

I bought one kit and a spare bag.

Im thinking a much smaller scale at the moment. If i can get 10 bags out there is an extra $250 (im going to charge $25) a month. 

See how I go, if I cannot get the one booked ill use it at home.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

This just came up on my FB feed. This is the guy i was talkin about.

51655250_2003399346622983_69588782497577

51882896_2003399383289646_46177557306346

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Garden Bags

The metal frames are the go  ;) Until it popped up here i had never seen the flash aluminium ones.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Garden Bags

This just came up on my FB feed. This is the guy i was talkin about.

51655250_2003399346622983_69588782497577

51882896_2003399383289646_46177557306346

Still seems way to cheap to me. I generally charge $50 to $70 to shift a cubic metre of green waste and that is pretty much standard among all waste removal companies around here.  $20......? Take GST, ........

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Garden Bags

Yep, I can’t get my head around going to a place twice for $20.
I’ve seen what goes in some green bins, there would have to be a few headaches when it gets filled with bricks etc
Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

GST? its majority cash and remember our tip fees are WAY cheaper than yours. Most just pin the money to the bag on pick up days

you can pick up allot of bags in an hr. He has 600 plus out. You couldnt charge that little in a major city that's for sure, you guys have traffic lights and the tip is miles away and tolls and parking problems, etc etc.

Bricks and the odd bit of rubbish not green waste would be a pain but as long as you see it before you tip you just tip it in the pit rather than the green waste area. Not a huge deal apart from weight when loading.

if I did one on the way home every day that's an extra $100 for 60 mins work (at $20). At $ per min that's not bad for not really doing anything...Might even get a free beer with the boys if i time it just right.. But you would just have 30 scheduled for pick up on the same day if you had enough customers. One tip run. Nice easy day, be like an 8 hr day but once in awhile we have to do those I spose. (don't remember the last time I did one of those...lol)

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Garden Bags

Yep, I can’t get my head around going to a place twice for $20.
I’ve seen what goes in some green bins, there would have to be a few headaches when it gets filled with bricks etc

u go once. u pick up the bag and put on a new one in the one visit... If it was full of bricks u tip them out on the ground and charge $20.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales