Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

New Mower Time (Giddy Up)

Hey there crew.

well, its been a great spring/summer for us here in Sydney..  business has been great..  But, I'm flogging myself walking behind the mower..  and I'm exhausted..  there has to be an easier way.. 

so Ive been thinking about a new mower upgrade .. 

nearly all of my customers have a gate a have to get through..  Ive been thinking about getting a Toro timemaster ... but I would really love a ride on / stand on unit...

Mt question is,,,,  Is there a ride on / stand on unit that is narrow enough to get through the usual side gate access ?

Cheers

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

cox lawn boss 32", greenfield 32",  gravely compact pro 34", wright stander 32".......the cox is great, been using them for donkeys years; the gravely is also great (but needs wider tyres which makes it 35.5" wide) but over $10g

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Ive been looking at the wright stander 32  ...i like this....

been seeing bad reviews on the Toro standers ...do Toro actually make anything good ?

Over 10 k is a big investment... 

I'm thinking I'll be getting a Toro Time master ( do i have a choice) ...lol 

who can drop 10 k on a mower ??  not me , thats for sure

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Yeah I'd like to get a small stander but can't justify $10k+ on one especially when I don't have any very large lawns.  For $1500 I do highly recommend the timemaster though.  I use it about 50% of the time and on those larger lawns it comes into it's own and does save 30-40% mowing time over the Honda HRX.

A couple of points about it though:

1. It does not mulch wet grass at all, even slightly damp it will easily clog the deck.

2. It struggles to mulch in thick/long grass more so than the Honda, although the side discharge works brilliant and cuts anything down, just obviously leaves a mess.

3. The two idler pulleys that come stock are absolute junk, both mine failed after 15 hours or so.  You HAVE to upgrade to the improved pulleys (used on the turfmaster) which are far sturdier and I have no issues with.  You can buy the upgrade kit for around $US100 or what I did complain to toro and got the dealer to replace for free, although I was waiting like 5 weeks for them to arrive.

4.  I've read reports that the transmission is not overly durable, but they are only around $US100 to replace.  No problems with mine so far.

I only have about 40 hours on mine so still early days but so far, apart from the pulleys, it has been a great buy and time saver.  As I mentioned above if you are using it on dry regular lawns it does a great job and with the cut quality and mulching on par with the HRX, just don't expect it to mulch anything wet or thick.

Oh and the personal pace works really nice and the mower itself manouvers well considering it's size.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Nice review Plucka, thanx for making the effort.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

greenbits
greenbits

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Business Name:International Lawn Care Services

G-Tree got a timemaster  fs in NSW ..$1300..223cc make a offer & under warranty

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:27 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Yeah I'd like to get a small stander but can't justify $10k+ on one especially when I don't have any very large lawns.  For $1500 I do highly recommend the timemaster though.  I use it about 50% of the time and on those larger lawns it comes into it's own and does save 30-40% mowing time over the Honda HRX.

A couple of points about it though:

1. It does not mulch wet grass at all, even slightly damp it will easily clog the deck.

2. It struggles to mulch in thick/long grass more so than the Honda, although the side discharge works brilliant and cuts anything down, just obviously leaves a mess.

3. The two idler pulleys that come stock are absolute junk, both mine failed after 15 hours or so.  You HAVE to upgrade to the improved pulleys (used on the turfmaster) which are far sturdier and I have no issues with.  You can buy the upgrade kit for around $US100 or what I did complain to toro and got the dealer to replace for free, although I was waiting like 5 weeks for them to arrive.

4.  I've read reports that the transmission is not overly durable, but they are only around $US100 to replace.  No problems with mine so far.

I only have about 40 hours on mine so still early days but so far, apart from the pulleys, it has been a great buy and time saver.  As I mentioned above if you are using it on dry regular lawns it does a great job and with the cut quality and mulching on par with the HRX, just don't expect it to mulch anything wet or thick.

Oh and the personal pace works really nice and the mower itself manouvers well considering it's size.

great write Plucka.....  I'm getting one.....I'm looking at a Turfmaster on the weekend (cheap..

all of my lawns are manicured...i don't do any over grown yards at all.. 

I this this mower will suit me

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

G-Tree got a timemaster  fs in NSW ..$1300..223cc make a offer & under warranty

I seen that...  I'm looking at a Turfmaster sunday...  if its no good...I'll look at this ...cheers

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

But, I'm flogging myself walking behind the mower..  and I'm exhausted..  there has to be an easier way.. 

so Ive been thinking about a new mower upgrade ..

Mt question is,,,,  Is there a ride on / stand on unit that is narrow enough to get through the usual side gate access ?

Cheers

sitting down on a rideon is the only thing going to rest your legs   The COX 32" tractor gets though every gate

Its makes a easyday when you have the rideon jobs after lunch

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Ando ive got a 30 inch ztr dixon mower its a domestic unit but does a brillent job and fits through any 900 mm gate.

There not made any more but they pop up for sale from time to time.

My machine has over 500 hrs on it and still going strong.

This may be another option for you. A mate of mine has a 32 inch toro ztr domestic machine and hates it says its a piece of junk lol
Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Ando ive got a 30 inch ztr dixon mower its a domestic unit but does a brillent job and fits through any 900 mm gate.

There not made any more but they pop up for sale from time to time.

My machine has over 500 hrs on it and still going strong.

I like the sound of that...that would be perfect ...shame they dont make them anymore

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Here is one for sale ando https://www.gumtree....tion/1210964530
Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Here is one for sale ando https://www.gumtree....tion/1210964530

I love that !!  and its in my price range...  the only thing thats stopping me is a need to bag most of my customers..My customers wouldn't let me use this  

but now i have something to think about...  Thanks Smokey

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

well, I didn't plan on buying something so soon....but I did..

I was just strolling through Gumtree, and I even think one of you guys pointed this out to me as well ..

I bought a timemaster in new condition for $900..   the catch is , it has the 190cc engine..  but the mower has hardly been used and I couldn't pass it up.. 

Ive been doing lots of research into these over the last few days..  and as it turns out the 190cc Briggs has more HP and Touque that the commercial turfmaster Kawasaki !! .

Ive been reading that these struggle in  bagging wet grass ,  bagging long grass and mulching long wet grass ,,which is what my 216 also has problems with...  so its not really a concern.

During my research i learned that these mowers with go through a few belts. ($20 each) and will throw a pully from time to time ($40 each) both simple jobs to fix..  so I'm not worried about that at all.. 

I bumped the revs from 3450 to 3600 RPMs..  this thing sounds like a monster and I cant wait to use it this week .. 

I will review this at the end of the week after 45 lawns. 

v3k4TS.jpg

MIaMLv.jpg

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

well, I didn't plan on buying something so soon....but I did..

I was just strolling through Gumtree, and I even think one of you guys pointed this out to me as well ..

I bought a timemaster in new condition for $900..   the catch is , it has the 190cc engine..  but the mower has hardly been used and I couldn't pass it up.. 

Ive been doing lots of research into these over the last few days..  and as it turns out the 190cc Briggs has more HP and Touque that the commercial turfmaster Kawasaki !! .

Ive been reading that these struggle in  bagging wet grass ,  bagging long grass and mulching long wet grass ,,which is what my 216 also had problems with...  so its not really a concern.

During my research i learned that these mowers with go through a few belts. ($20 each) and will throw a pully from time to time ($40 each) both simple jobs to fix..  so I'm not worried about that at all.. 

I bumped the revs from 3450 to 3600 RPMs..  this things sounds like a monster and I cant wait to use it this week .. 

I will review this at the end of the week after 45 lawns. 

v3k4TS.jpg

MIaMLv.jpg

Pretty much every mower has issues mulching in those conditions. Good luck with it mate, its a beast, especially for the price. Look forward to the review. Make sure you do some mulching for me!

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Rick05
Rick05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Business Name:RGM

Nice mower!!! Look forward to your review on the mower also
Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

greenbits
greenbits

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Business Name:International Lawn Care Services

You got the advantage of near new mower which is a good start

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Nice catch Ando - gotta love Gumtree - I've always got half a dozen searches going for various things

That engine looks like the 850 ? - if it is even more the bargain

I look forward to your feedback on it - particularly the timesaving on residential blocks.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Nice catch Ando - gotta love Gumtree - I've always got half a dozen searches going for various things

That engine looks like the 850 ? - if it is even more the bargain

I look forward to your feedback on it - particularly the timesaving on residential blocks.

Thanks...  The engine is the 8.75 ft lbs /190cc..  the new Timemaster is a 223cc

oCdFZQ.jpg

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Thanks...  The engine is the 8.75 ft lbs /190cc..  the new Timemaster is a 223cc

oCdFZQ.jpg

Maybe not the Briggs 850 commercial engine Ando - wonder about upping the revs to 3600 - but then there was a fellow posted on here quite a while back who used the Timemaster a lot and he would burn through the original spec engine and then fit an uprated spec motor - you might find his posts with a search.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales