30 replies to this topic
mattme
mattme

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Residential Contracts?

Hi All,

I have only been going a few months but find the same issue happens at a high rate. When i quote for a job i always ask if the customer wants a regular service and the frequency. most say yes and agree to the service intervals i advise but once the initial service is done they say we will call you.

Q1 - do you give a slightly better rate in the hope of making it up on a regular basis or just charge the full price as it is generally a jungle?

Q2 - if yours say yes to ongoing do you use a service contract / agreement?

thanks in advance.

Matt

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Residential Contracts?

I quote the job as an initial mow and then a price on an onging service. Started a new client last week, $120 initial and $50 every two weeks there after. I ask for their mobile number and i text them the night before with a simple msg. "Mow day tomorrow". 

Im not really interested in one off jobs so i always ask this at first contact. 

At the end of the day though if your going there to mow dirt then the customer is in the right and trying to get a mow when there isn't anything to mow is a bit scummy to me.

Another way of doing it that works well is with a monthly service fee. This allows you to mow (or in the case of the middle of summer and winter not to mow) and you invoice them the same price at the end of every month. This can be a win/win for both parties and makes budgeting simpler.

Whatever you do it all comes down to controlling the customer and don't be scared of saying no or even dropping them if your not happy.

First year is really hard cause your sifting through lots of clients and jobs to find the ones worth keeping. These people don't have a regular lawn contractor for a reason.

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Residential Contracts?

Pretty similar to lucky, take your time quoting and tell them how you work, when you will contact them for the next cut, what’s expected of them etc. they might work and you can mow their lawn for years without seeing them again. So go through everything the first time.
I always message a couple of days in front to avoid washing and so on.
In off season i find it better to push the times out rather than pi$$ them off and get an ill call you.

ALWAYS charge more for a first cut if the edges are untidy and it’s long, or they can take it as that’s ok for a regular cut regular price.
You will go through a lot of people to get a list of pretty good customers. All the established businesses have gone through a lot of duds to make what sounds like an easy round
Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Residential Contracts?

It's a perennial problem - compounded by the fickle rainfall we have now in many parts of OZ - we might call ourselves "contractors" but in residential work, I've never had one - and as Lucky said it's pointless mowing dust and dandelion tops -

so it comes down to a fairness/mutual respect thing IMHO - I text anyone down in my diary on sunday night each week and work out my runs based on responses - if it hasn't grown no problem - anyone who is just bumping it off to save bucks and give my gear a flogging when I do mow gets dropped - I find you do get a feel for the bumpers

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationRetired and on the wallaby track

Residential Contracts?

G'day all!

assume that EVERY first contact client is a "one off"

quote what you think is mutually fair for that one job

if you get it - do the job to the level of service you would expect from a painter, carpet layer, glazier and more… these are all one time visit tradespeople

If they want you back… same deal

mutual agreement

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

retired last week and I'm bored already!

Grae
Grae

3 of us

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationRetired and on the wallaby track

Residential Contracts?

…In off season i find it better to push the times out rather than pi$$ them off…

agree

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

retired last week and I'm bored already!

mattme
mattme

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Residential Contracts?

thanks for the responses guys, i use perimeter + area to calculate with three levels. maintained, rough and f'ing jungle. I tend to get the jungles.

I will take on the advice of treating all new customers as a once off, but i always try to do my best work so i can build up before and afters.

thanks

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Residential Contracts?

it’s part of the the quote time chat,
“how did it get so long?”
The answer will tell you if they could become a decent regular customer or if it’s going to be a jungle again
Send them a message a few weeks later anyway, hi *** would you like your lawn cut on Tuesday? People are busy, organise the mowing for them.
Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

Kathryn
Kathryn

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW
  • Business Name:Brett's Mowing & Handyman Service

Residential Contracts?

Always quote initial mow as one off. Then say if done regularly it will be $×. We find people use the "I want it done regularly", to try and get it at a cheaper rate.
Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:Ultimate Property Services

Residential Contracts?

as soon as you see a jungle...this means to me they wont be regular.. 

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Residential Contracts?

as soon as you see a jungle...this means to me they wont be regular.. 

There can be a range of reasons as to why its a jungle. Last contractor may of been to cheap and decided to not turn up. They just moved in. Got back from a few months away.. 

I still have a couple jobs from my first two years that were stupid long and had to be done with the metal blade on the whipper. In saying that often its because they have an inspection coming up or the councils on their back, that's why its important to ask why it got so long as Spongy said.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Residential Contracts?

l've got a lawn that was 4' high when l first cut it - over 20 years later they still deposit a set amount monthly and trust me to do it when l think it needs doing.....l have 3-4 that do this

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Residential Contracts?

Hi All,

I have only been going a few months but find the same issue happens at a high rate. When i quote for a job i always ask if the customer wants a regular service and the frequency. most say yes and agree to the service intervals i advise but once the initial service is done they say we will call you.

Q1 - do you give a slightly better rate in the hope of making it up on a regular basis or just charge the full price as it is generally a jungle?

Q2 - if yours say yes to ongoing do you use a service contract / agreement?

thanks in advance.

Matt

First thing is, dont ask the customer what they want,  you tell them what you have to offer.  You Control the roster and the service.

Im guessing you dont have alot of customers as you just started up.  If your books are not full, abosolutely give a better rate, its bad business paying someone to do nothing "no work".   once your customer base grows quote higher. 

know you expenses per week. hourly rate mean nothing without the expenses taken off.

$30 p/h expense verse $10 p/h

$30 expenses charge out rate of $60 makes one $30

$10 expenses charge out rate of $40 makes one $30

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Residential Contracts?

This post is an excellent read, should help newbies a lot

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Residential Contracts?

When you get a lot of clients on the books, avoid texting the night before. Texting and notifying a client your coming is a pain for a lot of reasons. Ideally you want to rock up when your scheduled, do the job and go. Youl might have a couple of clients who will need to be texted before you arrive but overall it's best to not do it. 

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Residential Contracts?

When you get a lot of clients on the books, avoid texting the night before. Texting and notifying a client your coming is a pain for a lot of reasons. Ideally you want to rock up when your scheduled, do the job and go. Youl might have a couple of clients who will need to be texted before you arrive but overall it's best to not do it. 

I'm wondering what reasons they would be? 

How many clients are you talking about?

I find a quick group text easy, means cars are off lawns, no washing on line, any toys moved, cash on hand, gates unlocked, dog Shiit picked up and dog locked away, hoses off lawns etc.

Can also mean some hot scones as well.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Residential Contracts?

Ditto to that - I don't like turning up unannounced - the mower guy is not front and centre in most peoples minds so there's too much potential for stuffups if you don't give them a courteous reminder.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Residential Contracts?

I mow every 2 weeks in the growing season and 4 in when it slows. Clients know what day I'm coming and all cars, dog #### etc is moved.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Residential Contracts?

I’ve got everyone a bit looser than that, every so many weeks but it might move around by a day or 2. I message everyone beforehand , It helps to fit in half day hedges, fishing, hangovers etc if everything can move a bit. If you’re not flat out you can pick through the weather a bit too.
Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Residential Contracts?

I find a quick group text easy, means cars are off lawns, no washing on line, any toys moved, cash on hand, gates unlocked, dog Shiit picked up and dog locked away, hoses off lawns etc.

Can also mean some hot scones as well.

Flexablity, If you lock in a day your letting the customer down if you dont turn up,  it rains, a breakdown, a urgent job that day or just wake up tired and sore.  many reason why you dont get the job done.    you might just go fishing instead.

Im paid to manage there lawn mowing and mow as required.  I only have one customer i do on Wednesday  and if i dont turn up i do the next wednsday.

100 + clients,  including units and stata residents maybe 200

Different area have different business,  it can say no rain here for a week and drizzle with rain everyday. hard to plan ahead.

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales